Transporting an inflatable paddleboard

Is it possible or feasible to carry an inflated 10.6 paddleboard in the back of 6’ bed pick-up truck?

Why wouldn’t you just try?

I am assuming the OP doesn’t have the paddle board.

Is it 10.5’ long? If so, it should be fine if you secure it properly. More than half will be in the bed with about 4’ hanging behind the truck. Flag it properly

Sure would be easier than deflating and reinflating it. I just wasn’t sure since it is not truly rigid like a canoe/kayak. Do I have to drive 20 mph tho";))) Think I’ll try a test drive first before heading 60 miles away.

As mike93lx advised, be sure to secure it well. Cam straps, not ratchet straps.

1 Like

most likely, with the tailgate down, it will only be about 2and 1/2 ft. overhang…flag it and go

Or with the tailgate up, strap the rear to the tailgate…try to strap the front low in the front of the bed

Don’t do just straps. Get a rope attached to a loop/hole on it. Maybe where the tether connects? Assuming it has one

Sounds like a kite of a different color.

If you try it, do it on a 30 mph street and get someone to follow you to keep an eye on the lift-off. If it stays put, try a little faster. Be very careful, please, they give you a pump and big drain valve for a reason.

Not in the bed of a pickup, but I’ve hauled a single inflatable paddleboard and 2 stacked on top of each other on my roof rack. Used both my Inno 445 and just regular cam straps. Speeds up to 65 mph and in the wind with distances up to 45 miles one-way. No issues at all. The inflatables we have are very rigid when pumped up.

That went along with my thinking, that in the bed there is no way to keep it down. Discovered that semi-inflated I can fold it and stick it in the trunk of my car with the seats down. Easy peasy. With only 7 psi mine is pretty rigid too. Thanks for your input.

Another way, I bought an inflation adapter that let’s me deflate and when near a put-in I go to a gas station and use their air pump. I might need to finish it off at the put-in with my pump, but that takes a couple minutes at most

Sounds like a great idea, but where I live gas stations are few and far between:(((

I keep a portable tire inflator in my car. It plugs into my car’s 12 volt outlet. Unit also has a valve to use with inflatables.

Thanks, wouldn’t have thought about that.

Yes, that is a lung saver. Mine came with one!

1 Like

They also make 12V pumps that are made for inflatables. Plug it into your car’s 12V socket, connect to your paddleboard, set to the desired PSI and turn it on. This lets you get all of your other prep work done while the board is inflating and can save time at the put-in.

I have a pump…thank goodness!! It does save time, not to mention my lungs.

1 Like

Tire inflators usually are designed for higher pressure and low volume/flowe. They will inflate a kayak or isup, but it will take forever. As someone mentioned, a 12V high volume pump is your best choice.

I got a a small 4Ah battery and an adapter cable so I can inflate right at the put in and I can bring the pump and battery with me. Maybe not as practical for a sup, but inflating right at the water is good.