TRANSPORTING QUESTION

HELLO,

I HAVE A 12’ PERCEPTION SUNDANCE REC. BOAT. i HAVE BEEN CARRYING IT ON TOP OF A 4 DOOR HYUNDAI ELANTRA. THE BARS ON THE RACK ARE ONLY ABOUT 2 OR 2.5’ APART. i HAVE BEEN PUTTING FOAM BLOOKS ON THE BARS AND CARRYING THE KAYAK HULL SIDE DOWN BUT IT IS NOT VERY SECURE. WHEN I CARRY IT COCPIT DOWN RIGHT AGAINST THE PADDED BARS (I PUT PADS ON FOR THIS) IT IS VERY SECURE. i USE BOW AND STERN TIES WITH BOTH. i KNOW I NEED TO GET GOOD CARRIERS BUT I CANT RIGHT NOW SO IM MAKING DUE. THE QUESTION IS AM I GOING TO CAUSE ANY REAL DAMAGE TO THE HULL BY CARRYING IT WITH THE COCKPIT DOWN.

You will do less damage with
the cockpit down, at least to the boat. Cockpit up, poly boats tend to oilcan(dent) badly. The boat is strongest on its side.

2nd to that
I have a Perception Acadia and Wildy Pungo. I agree that transporting rec boats on foam blocks right side up just does not work. My Acadia actually seemed to ‘mold’ itself around the foam blocks when I tried to transport right side up

If you cannot transport or store the boat on its side, then upside down is best. Try to Line up with the strongest curves of the coving. As soon as you can get some J cradles.

Upside down is right…
according to Wilderness Systems. With the foam blocks, I haul my 16’ Cape Lookout upside down everywhere it goes. Keeping the cockpit rim between the bars enables me to tie the boat down nicely and the bow and stern line keeps everything centered.

Tying the boat down rightside up puts all the force on the keel, which is not a stable platform and can cause the oilcanning mentioned previously. Using foam blocks, upside down is the way to go.

transport
unfortunatley the cockpit is so big on the perceptio that the cockpit actually rests on the cross bars. i cant line it up so the strongest curves are on it

Just don’t…
Just don’t overtighten the bow and stern tie downs. This is a common mistake. Just pulling them snug should be sufficient.

made uprights
We have a Honda van and use the foam blocks. Our kayaks caved in just coming home from the store. I made a pair of uprights for $8. Using 1/2 black pipe. Used pipe feet and a scrape of steel that I drilled and tapped. You could use two pipe feet, bolted together around the cross bar. Then use 18" long pipe as upright, put pipe insulation on as padding. Easy to take on and off as needed.

agreed…
they are only for telling YOU something is wrong up there. They are to only hold till you can stop.

P

verticles
im told not to use verticles with non permenant roof racks. i have a portable rack on the car. it was easier carrying a sundance 9.5. i just stuck it in the back of an explorer and was done. time to put together some more money and get a good system i guess