Tribute 12.0 or Eddy Sky 10?

-- Last Updated: May-12-15 2:16 PM EST --

Well, my edit deleted the whole original message. Yuck. Don't really want to go through and retype the whole thing, but moral of the story is I'm torn between the two models and was wondering if anyone has advice on which performs better. Looking for stable, slim, and light. I'll be mostly on flat lakes and slow rivers, maybe venturing into lake michigan in low-traffic areas. I'm 5'2, 135lbs, and a beginner.

Edit for more info: Located an hour south of Chicago. I've been searching CL and local shops that sell used. I'm going to stay under 1000-thats a MUST unfortunately. I'm probably looking to buy from REI since they'll do free delivery and they have 20% off right now. My nearest kayak shop is an hour drive and they don't offer any discounts other than used rental models (and not the models I'm looking at anyways)

Bulkheads

– Last Updated: May-12-15 1:41 PM EST –

Safety issue. You want a sealed bulkhead fore and aft. Tribute has only a stern bulkhead. All Eddyline kayaks have two sealed bulkheads. Even the little 10-footer.

I'd skip the Sky. Too short and wide. The Rio, new this year, is about 12 feet, 24" beam, weighs 35#, and fully outfitted. No reviews since it's a new model, but Eddyline makes great boats (I have two).

In the end, you really need to sit inside the cockpit of any boat you may buy, to make sure it fits.

BTW, you're a lot smarter than I was last year by asking here first. I bought my first (totally inappropriate) kayak, then asked here. Luckily I found a used Eddyline to correct my first mistake.

Postscript: You give no info on your location, other than a reference to Lake Michigan. If you give the folks here an idea where you are, you might get some suggestions on used boats that are available in your area.

How about this?
http://hurricaneaquasports.com/our-kayaks/day-touring/sojourn-126/

Full retail price is $1250 but I bet you can get the price down a bit with some negotiating.

Try first
Great Lakes Kayaks is in Chicago and has several different demo areas. http://www.greatlakeskayak.com/

They also have a sale coming up June 6 and offer free winter storage for their customers. It looks like they also offer classes on getting back in your kayak if you capsize. That’s a good thing to know how to do.

You don’t want to buy any kayak without at least sitting in it. Spending some time with it on the water is even better.

More importantly, what do you want to do on the water? Will you be content always paddling close to the shoreline? Will you be paddling with others (who have longer boats)?

Make the drive to further shops
Suffice to say that an hour is a whole lot shorter of a drive than my husband and I made when we decided to get serious about trying out more sea kayaks. And it was great we did that - found perfect boats but no way were they going to be available from anyone local.

Consider the run to Chicago that was suggested above if willowleaf’s idea doesn’t work out. In the longer run you will be happy you did.

Rio
Yup, the Rio will put you over the $1000 range as it is retailing for $1379 here in WA state. But, I bought one for the times I need a smaller boat instead of my longer, faster boats. This one is very fast for a small one, as I took it out on a group outing and was scooting right along in it, if not in front, then in the hunt. It will track straight except when the wind is from behind, then takes a little more effort to fight weathercocking. Very nimble without sacrificing stability. For you, it should be fine. Biggest drawback is when they say it is for small/mid size paddlers, it really means smaller. My grandson is 5’8" and while it fit fine at first, couldn’t get the footpegs extended further. Guess I should do a proper review, but hate to until I’ve paddled it at least a month or more, and that I have not. Still, just had to put in my two cents. :slight_smile:

Rio
The Rio sounds amazing- like the exact perfect fit (except possibly too tight around the hips at 15.5 in wide). If I had an extra few hundred laying around I’d be all over it. Realistically I need to stay under $500, but that’s why I’m scouring CL for gently used models. At this point I think anything would be better than the bathtub I’m currently hauling around. There’s not too much jumping out at me, although I’m considering an old 13’ Hydra Taurus. Unfortunately reviews on that are nonexistent so I can only judge by what I see and how I think it’ll ride before I commit to a 2 hr drive to see it.

Isn’t the Hydra Taurus
a whitewater kayak?

I found some photos of it. No deck rigging of any sort. http://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/4982599148.html

Also found an old thread on that kayak, relating to the seat: http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1397632

not that one
No, you don’t want that Hydra. It’s an old school whitewater boat, not only unsuitable for lake paddling bit you would spend hundreds outfitting it with flotation bags and what is probably a miserable seat. These are designed to turn quickly in rapids and to edge and roll.

Don’t be in a rush. Take the advice to track down some demo days and sit in models so you get a feel for fit. I started kayaking when I lived across the big lake from you - I would NOT venture out on Michigan in a boat under 14 feet. Too hard to keep short boats tracking in wind and strong currents.

You need to find out more about boats

– Last Updated: May-15-15 9:56 AM EST –

If you are even looking at a boat like the Rio you do not understand what you need in a boat for the purposes you state. The result is likely to be a boat that you realize was the wrong choice by late July, and then you'll need to find money for another boat...

Take the time to find out what you need in a touring kayak by going to demos and maybe getting a basic lesson. Before you spend money.