Tried out a CD Kestrel 120 for 1st timer

I had access to a Kestrel 120 for a few days on a big lake and putted around in some coves with it and I was curious if there is another kayak that you would suggest trying. I would like a 14’ in the mid to upper 30lb to lower 40lb range.

Would the Eddyline Equinox be a comparable boat?

I’m 5’8" and 170

Was that a composite Kestrel 120? They are in the mid 30s.
They say the 140 is 43lbs.

As nice a boat as the Kestrel is, try out a CD Vision 140. It’s a much more capable kayak.

I have a Vision 130 and it is quick, maneuverable and quite nic. Haven’t tried the 140 or the Kestrel.

I’m 5’6 and 165.

The Visions are closer to a sea kayak being narrower and a smaller cockpit opening that is better in open water. The larger cockpit on the Kestrel and the lighter weight is why I got the comp 120 as my open water trekking days are about over.

With your dimensions, you’d fit well in a CD Vision 130 or 140, which are in the 40-42 pound range. The Vision designs are a step up from the Kestrels in terms of efficiency and sportiness, and would be a better choice if any sort of open water is on your horizon. The Eddyline Equinox is an excellent boat, though wider than the Vision, so not quite as efficient.

If you really liked the Kestrel, though, be aware that CD won’t be offering the composite 120 and 140 for 2019, so if you want one, start shopping now.

@Yanoer said:
I have a Vision 130 and it is quick, maneuverable and quite nic. Haven’t tried the 140 or the Kestrel.

I’m 5’6 and 165.

I test paddled a CD Vision 140 and thought it was a slug with not much glide so I went home empty handed. Not saying it’s a bad boat, just my findings but your’s may be different.

@shiraz627 said:

@Yanoer said:

I’m 5’6 and 165.

I test paddled a CD Vision 140 and thought it was a slug with not much glide so I went home empty handed. Not saying it’s a bad boat, just my findings but your’s may be different.

The 140 may be a different animal than the 130. I’m an out of condition guy, so the lower skin friction of the 130 may be easier for me to keep going at a moderate cruising speed than the 140.

The 130 is remarkably neutral in wind and light chop with very good ability to turn into or away from the wind that few boats that I’ve paddled can match.

I don’t average any faster cruising speed in my Vision 130 than in my Epic 16X, but the 16X definitely has a higher top end speed.

I have both. My wife paddles a Vision 130 and I use a 140. I’ve paddled hers enough times to know that there’s not a lot of difference between them. I’m 6’ and 200lbs so the 140 does fit me a little better. The 140 also gets the nod on windy days due to its skeg.

If you happen to live in the Boston area there’s a good deal on a composite Kestrel 140.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/d/current-designs-kestral-140/6671846826.html

Some thermoformed kayaks to consider:

Delta 12.10 or 14
Hurricane Sojourn 135 or 140

I would buy any of those over the Eddyline Equinox. I think the Equinox cockpit may be too large for you. The Delta and Hurricane cockpits should fit you.

Where do you plan to paddle? Day trips or camping?

While spending the week with the Kestrel 120, I would like to try a longer boat to compare efficiencies/performance.

Most of the type of paddling I’ve done with it are exactly what I had envisioned…I paddled for a couple hours at a time just checking out coves, wildlife and doing a little shooting (I’m a photographer) on a large lake in TN.

I agree about the Equinox being a little larger cockpit than I need, my local Eddyline outfitter suggested the Sitka.

I’ve also been intrigued with the skin on frame units, mainly for performance, durability and weight.

Go to nckayaks.com and see the deals that are too good to pass up. They are selling all their inventory boats at half price. These boats are all fiberglass top-of-the-line sea kayaks, $3000 boats going for $1500, etc.