Trip Advice: Elgin, IL Fox River

I already belong to CASKA and have paddled other areas of Fox River, but am wondering about putting in North of the ELgin (not south Elgin) dam and paddling northward (upstream).

Anyone know best put-in for north of Elgin? How long's the paddle befor ethe next dam? Is the next dam above Elgin portagable? Thank you.

Upstream of Elgin
There is an access at Voyageur Landing Forest Preserve, just north of I-90 on river-right; next dam upstream is the Carpentersville Dam, which is an easy portage on river-right.

Trip Advice: Elgin, IL Fox River
CD1 -

I have paddled the stretch from the Elgin waste treatment plant to the first bridge in Dundee. It’s not a bad stretch altho, the last time I was there, there were a couple of speed boats.

The stretch above the large area just N of I90 is shallower, has a stronger current, but with some forested areas. I got tired fighting the current in Dundee and went back S.

The put-in in Elgin is Slade Ave. Park. It’s on the E side of the river, off of Grove St. Usually there is a police car parked on Grove St. N at the turn to the Park.

While we’re on the subject, have you or anyone else taken the river N from Fox River Shores to Algonquin? I’m interested in taking a try at that stretch.

Tim Balassie

Kane Co, IL

Thanks, gentlemen!