Trip report with Invisible Hazards

Agree - serrated side is a good idea. I think a flat tip is a good idea too, it’s a good field screw driver or prying tool and won’t poke holes in dry wear.

I really didn’t like the idea of a knife on my PFD but here we are, too many abandoned fishing lines, fear of losing a good knife.

So I opted for a small dive Knife, One side serrated on side straight edge and a blunt pry tip. the whole knife is about 6 inches long and cheap enough that should I ever lose it it’s no big deal.

Works well enough and the Kydex actually retains the knife so there is no fear of it falling out. since it’s so small and unobtrusive on one has ever hassled me about it. and Since my Astral PFD is black and the knife is too, it doesn’t advertise.

I also carry should I need it a skeletool multitool clipped inside my cockpit to a line I strung there for that purpose. that’s there mostly for the pliers, everything else I handle witht he PFD knife.

1 Like

I ended up ordering one of these: https://www.diverite.com/products/accessories/line-cutter/

Small and unobtrusive, should be able to attach it to a shoulder strap, unlikely to accidentally fall off like a lot of fixed blade knifes, shouldn’t interfere with self rescue. We’ll see how effective it is once I get my hands on it.

2 Likes

Looks like a smart choice!

Craig_S mine is exactly the same, but differently branded.
A little rusty 10 years in, but still works fine.