tripping and bread

I am just wondering how many of you make your own bread when on the trail? I am thinking of bringing ingredients for flat bread on my solo trip this June. Do you guys do this as well?

Bob.

bannock
I make a bannock from bisquit total mix. Just add water and place in a pan.Start on the coals and gradually tip up to brown the top as the dough firms.

Mostly biscuits
I have not seen full blown bread cooking on trips. Bannock from biscuit is common, and we’ve frequently eaten that. That can be handily cooked the night before if you want to get going quickly the next morning.

I have also seen people use the commercial muffin mixes (Washington brand) and cook them in a covered pan inside a covered pan of water–sort of a double boiler arrangement. I was surprised how well this worked, since double boiler temp is far below the 350 or so oven temp recommended on the package instructions. But it cooked up very nicely and yielded a far moister muffin than when home cooked in an oven. Various flavors are available, so this gives some variety.

I also recommend whole wheat roll-ups available, to my knowledge, only at BJs. I don’t remember the brand. I like the roll-ups because they don’t crush in the pack the way bread does. The brand BJs sells will last weeks before molding. Must be some good preservatives in there. Many folks avoid preservatives, but I figure if you eat enough of it you’ll live forever. That’s right isn’t it?

~~Chip Walsh, Gambrills, MD

Lots of baking . . .
On some of the longer trips (14+ days) have made bread every night for the next days lunch. Have also given in to temptation and eaten it the same night for a snack. Great when warm with some good berry jam.

Used to use a reflector oven but now have an outback oven; more even heat = less burned :slight_smile:

The outback is also good for brownies and cake.

Bannock on a stick is also good and quick for a snack.

Baking
I’ve done a lot of baking. I use a reflector oven. Unlike the other poster, I haven’t burned anything yet. You can see your baked goods at all times unlike a dutch oven or Outback Baker. But that this my preference. To each his own.

I have tried yeast bread. It is a great treat but a pain to make simply because of the rise time involved. Here’s a picture some yeast bread baking http://www.bwca.com/upload/Bannock-110506-112158.jpg Notice it didn’t rise enough. I rushed it.

A picture of a couple of biscuits baking http://www.bwca.com/upload/Bannock-050706-143019.JPG

And some cornbread http://www.bwca.com/upload/Bannock-050706-142301.JPG

Muffins work well, too, as well as quick breads such as beer batter bread, etc.

Ive made
Fry bread, when I have my dutch oven I make bisquits, sometimes cobbler

simple
Either from package or your own mix.I like the plain,to which I add fresh garlic(a must on spagetti night)or you could make it for breakfast with,say cinnamon&raisins or whatever trips your trigger.

Get an 10" Outback Bake Oven
Used mine to bake bread, pizza, brownies, fish, tators, or just about anything else you can cook in an oven at home.

I make JohnnyCake…
using a recepie in Kephart’s Camping & Woodcraft as my basis. Good Stuff and easy.

~Glenn

You’ve got to try this…
http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoorcooking/pie_irons.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you’ll find the Rome Bread Baker. The thing works like a charm. I’ve used it on several trips, and at home, I can no longer go camping without it, my friends would scream.

The recipe that comes with it is simple to make, and is easily modified. You can bag the ingredients up in a ziplock, add water to make dough, and squirt it into the greased bread cavity. I’ve made some seasoned with dried rosemary & garlic, some with cinnamon and sugar, some with basil and oregano. Yum!

Going on a river trip Mid April, and I’m going to try a quick bread recipe that calls for beer & cheddar cheese going into the mix.

Campfire bread sticks
Just mix up some dough and cover the end of a clean stick. cook just as you would roast marshmallows when bread stick is done pull it off the stick and fill it with chile or stew or something . Very easy and tasty for a camp out.

I make fry bread with fruit I’ve foraged
mixed into the batter. Blueberries, blackberries, beautyberries, elderberries, rosehips, dates, finely diced sugar-apples, spanish-bayonet fruit, etc… are all good for adding extra flavor, nutrition and fiber in your system.

bread
Have you tried Cache Lake foods? They sell small packages of fry bread mix. There are several kinds and they are all good. I make the italian bread, add pepperoni, and cheese to make a good meal. The cinammon one for breakfast is good too, just add some rehydrated apples and raisins and you have a good hot breakfast. Their website also has soups and desserts that are to die for. I am a regular bwca visitor and I always take cache lake fry bread. Its a great treat after a long day on the trail and very easy to make.

Fry bread
I’ve made fry bread (good stuff) and I’ve cooked lots of bread on canoe trips (pan de campo, injera, Irish oatcakes, corncakes, etc.), but I’ve never considered making fry bread on a trip.

Why?

It takes a lot of oil, and you’ve got to carry it in and then carry it out. How do you deal with this problem–or are you just stouter than I so it’s no big deal?

once i stopped laughing…
i just mix up some biscuit mix with some water and mold it around the end of a stout green stick and cook in the campfire. When it’s done I put some butter and jelly in the hole and eat it while I make a second one. When I first saw that Roman Bread Baker I laughed at it as just a gadget but the more I look the more I think that it would be a fun thing to have around the campfire. Might just have to try one out. Thanks for the pointer!

HOOAH!
Athens AL is 20 miles from where I work…gotta drive over there…

Went to the Trading Co…
it’s a steel barn building on a single track gravel and dirt drive…no signs, no nothing…(Double negative on purpose).

COUNNNNNTRY!..but the warehouse was full, I looked at the Roman Line of Pie tins and I intend to buy three or four of the models…

It was fun, they opened the warehouse and let me just wander through and root around in the boxes…pretty neat!

Cool!
I love businesses like that. Too fun.

That bread thing is so killer. I’ve used it twice this week just on the little grill on the deck.

Wisemen was great on shipping too - very efficient, and reasonable prices.

Good luck with your new toys SuperT!

-Tracy

yeah, I
know the stick concept too… but when we paddle/camp the Colorado river thru Nevada / Arizona area… there really aren’t a lot of sticks to use. (cactus needle, maybe?) Plus, gathering fire wood, any wood, actually, is not allowed. Cool thing about the bread baker, it’s a stick of bread about 14" long and 1.5" in diameter, so there’s a bit more to it than the green stick bread would allow.

We made banana bread on the grill the other night, I just mushed up a ripe banana into the mix with cinammon and sugar. Last night we had whole wheat flour, and used sun dried tomatoes, fresh rosemary and onion flakes in it. Yum. :slight_smile: