tripping canoes

I am looking for a good tripping canoe…so far, my choices in used boats are: Wenonah MinnII, Navaro Loon 17, Swift Winisk, Sawyer Cruiser, and a Clipper Tripper 17…any opinions or comparisons would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

what kind of tripping
river with rapids, mostly lake and and portages? Length of trip 4 days, 3 weeks, 2 months? Tell us what you plan on doing with this canoe.

Swift Winisk
is the only one I’ve tried on you list. Very high volume, pretty fast, doesn’t turn. Good long distance straight line heavily loaded canoe, not for me :wink:

Winisk is cramped at bow
I paddled a Winisk for several days. I didn’t mind it (but didn’t love it) in the stern. My bow paddler hated it – said it forced him to keep his feet in one position, close together, when sitting, and was too narrow and rounded for kneeling.

– Mark

Old Town Tripper

– Last Updated: Mar-06-07 2:01 PM EST –

if it be fer rapids, heavy water, big loads and not much portagin' an' yer don't need superfast speed on de flats.

FE

tripping canoes
Will be used for 3-12 day trips primarily on lakes…also on daily to 3 day trips on Columbia River…primarily looking for speed capacity & load carrier, but will encounter some wind (& waves on windy days)…both paddlers in the 120-160 pound range…both with lots of whitewater experience…

thanks again for any input or advice…

winisk
The Winisk is the only one on your list that has rocker and it has decent flared sides carried the length of the hull. This boat is going to be more comfortable in rough conditions. The Columbia can certainly give you rough.

You are both pretty light weight so any of these boats are plenty big enough for your stated uses. You may consider a little smaller canoe if one come available. 16’ prospector by clipper especially.

As whitewater paddlers you will appreciate the rocker and the seaworthiness of the Winisk. All the others are straight keeled, straight-sided (except the Loon), go-straight hulls. Of the rest I think the Loon would be my second choice. I believe the Loon is a heavier canoe than the rest.

not on his list

– Last Updated: Mar-06-07 4:52 PM EST –

Really smart for aroclas to let us know what is available to him. Test paddles sure help, swore me off the winisk in 5 minutes and into a Dumoine 10 minutes later (my type of paddling).

For the Columbia River region …
I think for the large Northwestern waters (windy rivers, large lakes, ocean bays and BC inlets) that the best canoe choice is the Clipper Tripper due to it’s hull depth (15") for safety in high waves with moderate loads. Because your max tripping load will probably be around 450 lbs or less, I wouldn’t suggest you get the Sea Clipper (18’6") unless you specify the shallower version (13"center depth) for less windage. Clipper’s tripping canoes are expedition proven (extensively) hulls that are very well outfitted (great bucket seats and footbraces). Add a Northwater’s expedition spraycover for whichever model you get. They make for safer and more comfortable tripping … and so extend your range i.e. the routes that you consider within your capabilities. The 17’ Tripper can go virtually anywhere you mentioned.