trolling motor battey(s)

per coast guard regulations here in fl and ny and perhaps other states, the battery must be secured. i spoke with the power squadron this weekend and they did not think so (in a canoe) but when they reviewed the information, they agreed it was required if the craft was registered and they also agreed that if a motor was used, the craft of any size had to be registered . on all the films and suggestions i’ve seen on equipping

a canoe, the battery is always simply set on the floor and also moved depending on changing weight considerations

any suggestions for securing battery on a canoe???

Keep it simple

– Last Updated: Apr-29-15 11:29 AM EST –

I would glue two D-rings to the floor, and run a simple tie-down strap from one D-ring, over the battery case, and down to the other D-ring. If a water cop ever checks your battery setup, he'll be so impressed to see even one tie-down strap that he won't be likely to check to see how well it works.

Oh, put your battery in one of those cheap plastic cases with the removable lid, because the battery also must be covered. You'll see that there's actually a recessed area on each side of the center of the cover, and with the strap located there, the battery won't be able to slide out from under the strap in the end-wise direction.

D-rings are sewn into little straps that are attached to a square vinyl patch. To attach that patch to Royalex, use Vyna-Bond. I've heard that various kinds of epoxy work well for attaching them to composite boats, and maybe that would be the case for aluminum too. For a poly hull, you'd best consult the experts here, since not many things adhere to poly.

Finally, don't cinch the tie-down strap tight. Just get the slack out and call it good.

Option #2: You *might* be able to wedge the battery box under a seat or thwart, and if you can, just run a strap around the the whole works so it can't come out from under whatever holds it down.

It's worth mentioning that additional flotation might be warranted anytime you attach motors and batteries to a canoe. The amount of flotation that's already present may not be enough to keep the boat from sinking after a capsize. I doubt if the boating regulations are comprehensive enough to take this into account though.

trolling motor batteries
several super suggestions-- thanks.

i expect to be on flat waters most of the time, whether in Adirondack waters of upstste n.w. or charlotte harbor of south florida so its primarily compliance if someone stops me or for insurance or marine accident situations.

Velcro?
Ive seen one mod on the internet where velcro was used on flat water, he used his canoe for fishing, he had used a waterproof battery box, that was velcroed to the bottom of his canoe, I dont k ow if that is good enough for any regulations, but an Idea.