Trolling motors on rec kayaks?

Got into one of those crazy “can that be done” kind of discussions with a friend…figured I’d bounce the thought on the forums.

Anyway, the question was about mounting a trolling motor on a small rec boat like a Swifty or Featherlite - something that could be removed for situations where power isn’t allowed ( like environmentally sensitive areas ), but desired for long trips or going against a strong current class I or II. Is there a way to rig up a controller so that the motor could be operated from the seated position of a sit-in rec boat? What about two small motors mounted on the sides of the hull? Admittely this was after a few beers…but is it possible?

sure can
Get a bow mount and put it on the stern.

Look at all this stuff. Wireless control, auto pilot, easy lift,

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/advantage/freshwater.asp?pg=bowguard

Read it and run, because you will be hammered for even thinking about this. :slight_smile:

it is not as ~strange~
as you might think it is :slight_smile:

A while back I saw a video of some adventurous person putting a real motor on white water kayak ( I think ). He was racing it throught some icy looking body of water against buggy like motor vehicle.

I don’t remember who won, at the moment I was amused by the producers’ emphasis on how realistic it was to have that particular race :wink:

The kayaker explained that trying to avoid ice on the water was quite challenging…