Trouble with my new kayak

I’ve been kayaking for the last 10-ish years, mostly on lakes. I had a Manatee single, and a double (Perception, but don’t remember the specifics). I never had trouble handling either of those kayaks by myself.

I got a new kayak for my birthday, and I’ve had it out twice. It’s an Old Town Heron 9XT. The first time I had it out on a very small lake, it was windy and rainy, and I had a hard time keeping the kayak tracking straight–it kept tracking to the left. I chalked that up to the weather, and took it out again this last weekend on a beautiful calm day, where the water was like glass. Same thing: I had to work so hard to keep it from tracking left that my left arm and shoulder were exhausted after my trip around the lake perimeter (about 45 minutes) which I’d tried to do counter-clockwise.

Everything I’ve read about this kayak says it should track and maneuver pretty easily. What could I be doing wrong?

is your weight centered?
Are you right-handed?

A couple of things to think about
A 9ft 6 inch kayak is not going to want to track really well unless you put a lot of technique into your paddling.

Pay attention to how you hold your paddle, how you sit in the boat so it is not leaning to one side, how you push your feet against the pedals when doing your forward stroke, and using a higher angle forward stroke with good form. It’s not all that wide so you might want to look into a shorter paddle if you are currently paddling at a flat angle.

It may be issues with the boat tip the boat over and make sure the hull is symmetric when you look down the keel line.

My first guess is you are leaning to one side while paddling

righthanded?
Yep, I am.

things to think about
I think I’m sitting straight in the middle…but maybe not as straight as I thought. I’ll definitely be paying attention to all of those points you raised next time I go out.

Thanks!

also
Make sure your hands are on the paddle shaft equally and not favoring one side.

Your handedness theoretically could push the boat left, if your right stroke is stronger.

Technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lef_ut8n0ms

Use your core and save your arms and shoulders.

If you have been paddling that long
I am guessing that is not you.

Have someone that is a good paddler try it out.

It could be a second or defective one.

About ten years ago at a race, my wife won a Necky Kayak that was donated by a Necky dealer.

When she paddled it it kept wanting to go to one side, and when I tried it, it did the same for me.

She gave it to one of our adult sons, and he had the same problem with it.

looking at it, it looked perfect, but we all knew that it was defective.

He finally put some weight on one side in the rear compartment and didn’t have any more problems with it

If you bought it new, you might want to have the dealer try it out and she what he says.

Jack L

Ditto
I paddled a used kayak for sale that pulled hard to one side. In that case, the boat had been stored strapped to a rack on the roof of a (defunct) car on its side and the hull had developed a lateral curve. On closer inspection, the keel line had a visually detectable bend to it - it wasn’t much but the effect was significant.

Oops, my bad
I just deleted my earlier post. I went thru yours too quickly and ditzed out on the part that you had been paddling for 10 years. More on the idea of a boat defect now…

inexperience
No worries…just cuz I’ve been paddling for 10 years doesn’t mean my technique is any good. I’m completely self-taught, and appreciate learning better technique!

:slight_smile:

Things I tried but didn’t work.
In my early days, I had some of the same issues but once I watched how I was sitting it was easier.

P-netters were very helpful.

#1 As noted above, a 9½ foot does not track very well.

#2 I would find my self sitting in the boat as if I was

in a recliner. Way too relaxed! Learned as time went

on. to sit up straight and not slouch.

#3 At times I noticed I was putting my weight more on

one hip than the other by having one leg raised

higher than the other which put the center of the

body and boat off balance. That’s fine if you’re

intending to turn.

#4 My hands would not be spaced the same distance from

the outer edge of my hand to where the

blade/shaft come together.

#5 I stopped trying to do it all alone and began

asking for advice from experienced boaters who

were very generous with their knowledge and glad

I did or I may just have said phooey with the

whole idea. That was over 20 years ago and kayak-

ing is one of my passions in life.

Best wishes in your future paddling days.

There are likely other variables I notice but these came to mind.

There are many good videos on this site that are helpful.

Things I tried but didn’t work.
In my early days, I had some of the same issues but once I watched how I was sitting it was easier.

P-netters were very helpful.

#1 As noted above, a 9½ foot does not track very well.

Longer boats are a bit more forgiving.

#2 I would find my self sitting in the boat as if I was

in a recliner. Way too relaxed! Learned as time went

on. to sit up straight and not slouch.

#3 At times I noticed I was putting my weight more on

one hip than the other by having one leg raised

higher than the other which put the center of the

body and boat off balance. That’s fine if you’re

intending to turn.

#4 My hands would not be spaced the same distance from

the outer edge of my hand to where the

blade/shaft come together.

#5 I stopped trying to do it all alone and began

asking for advice from experienced boaters who

were very generous with their knowledge and glad

I did or I may just have said phooey with the

whole idea. That was over 20 years ago and kayak-

ing is one of my passions in life.

Best wishes in your future paddling days.

There are likely other variables I notice but these came to mind.

P-net has many good videos on this site that are helpful.

Have someone shoot a video of you
Get someone to use a cell phone as almost everyone has one now and shoot a video of you paddling at them and by them. You can learn a lot by viewing yourself.