truck or small station wagon

Subarus
I’ve had experience with both the Forrester and Outback Wagon. I far prefer the Outback wagon. We currently have a 99 and have had great luck with it. If I were buying one now, I’d go with the GT Wagon. I don’t need the higher ground clearance and would prefer flatter, stiffer handling.

Working too hard?

– Last Updated: May-10-06 11:45 PM EST –

I had a '92 Toyota 1-ton that got 25 mpg highway @ speeds of 55 to 65 mph. No kayaks on top, just a topper and the ever-present camping gear inside. When towing the trailer (snowmobile trailer with kayak(s)), mileage dropped slightly, less than 1 mpg. It had a 3.0L V6 that did not lack even in the mountains. I think the 4-bangers just have to work too hard in some situations to get good mileage.

Your automatic tranny doesn't help. And maybe you had a low (numerically high) rear axle ratio, like a 4.10?. Mine was a 3.91 or 3.93 (sorry I can't remember the 3rd digit), still pretty low for a 2WD truck.

Escape
Paul

I have an '05 Ford Escape and think it works very nicely for hauling yaks and pulling a trailer less than 2500#. I put one of those “vortex” goodies in the air intake and now get 28mpg on the highway when I keep it at 65. I get the assurance of AWD in winter here in the northeast yet the amenities and room for 5 + gear.

However, that being said, finding the perfect vehicle for hauling, loading, pulling, gas mileage, etc is like finding a kayak perfect for everything: You ain’t going to find it.

I liked what ewnash said above regarding renting a rig for those special times you want to do heavy hauling/trailer camping. Keep the echo for everyday and single yak hauling and just rent a rig when you want to go heavy duty. That way you keep low/no car payments on the Echo, excellent gas mileage, and just have to fork out about $100 that 4 or 5 times a year to rent a rig.

Just an option…

that’s on the short list
along with the Subaru Outback. Kinda leaning towards the Outback as it has a lower roof etc.

Paul

interesting reveal on MPG…

– Last Updated: May-11-06 3:37 PM EST –

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kcra/20060508/lo_kcra/3452610;_ylt=AhEyNHo7g2w9xV43Xve7P4Cs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

i've never purchased, or even driven, an actual *new* car so i would have been suckered prior to reading this.

i also didn't know that car mfgrs were still making vehicles getting less than 20, or at least 15 mpg, much less people going out and buying them.

8mpg!?!? that is just wrong on so many levels...

realisticaly
getting about 32 to the gallon on the echo…drops down to 27 or 8 with boats loaded and doing 79 plus.

Paul

just got a 95 camry wagon
its very sweet. its so slick i dont want to put a rack on, its so aero. i’m getting a trailer hitch instead.

Choices, choices
I’m waiting for the new diesel fuel to be a deliverable in the USA. Can’t believe our oil companies haven’t delivered it yet. VW, Audi, and Volvo will be able to import diesel wagons when this happens. As far as pop-ups, you might want to look at the Aliner. Anything can tow it, but it’s small on size.

If I can’t wait or our oil companies get a delay on producing low emission diesel, I’m going to buy a new Dodge Sprinter, passenger model and convert it into a small camper. Granted I’ll have to spring for a hydralic kayak lift but it’s total solution. Met someone recently who drives his as one would a car. I’ve been eyeing them for about a year or so.

I’m not a Subaru fan…

Must disagree…
My experience with a 2001 Mitsu Montero Sport with a 3.0 liter engine has been most satisfying.

Would recommend to my mother. Comfortable, rugged, reliable. 78k miles so far, and intend to keep on for many years.

T

gas milage…
Ain’t that the rub of SUV’s?

The large ones like Tahoe, or Expedition, aren’t all that different in fuel consumption from our mid size ones.

And the small, CRV, Vitara,etc…can’t pull any more than any other small car.

Just like kayaks, every option is a compromise, one vehicle does not fit all.

T

IT IS HERE!!!
What’s up with the internet? Ultra low sulfer diesel has been at the pumps for a month now.

ULSD
Ultra low sulphur diesel is indeed showing up in various places around the country but is still not widely available. This should change over the next few months hopefully. Unfortunately, the better fuel will still not get new diesel cars sold in the CARB states (Calif, NY, MA, and a few others) which suscribe to the silly California emissions standards. Better to burn lots of gasoline I guess :wink: In the meantime, I love my diesel Passat wagon!

and …
since the above mentioned markets comprise the meat of automotive sales it means no efficient diesels for the rest of us ( pun intended :wink: )

Check this out…

– Last Updated: May-12-06 10:07 AM EST –

http://www.mitsubishisucks.com/cars/models/montero/

Think these are some of the reasons Mitsubishi stopped making this vehicle?

Oh, don't you love the air bags not deploying... and the ones (yes plural) where the vehicles just plow ahead without giving it gas!

I wouldn't let anyone in my family in this SUV.

cool
I think that’s got to be one of the better deals around

American station wagon
I’d like something like a Caprice or Oldsmobile station wagon with the 5cylinder Mercedes Diesel that’s in the Sprinter,now that would be the ultimate cruising kayak carrier.

California!
Soo, folks have been collecting WVO (waste vegetable oil) from restaurants to make Biodiesel, or run through a WVO system in their diesels. GREAT for the environment, great for the restaurants right??? Well, the rendering companies cried to the state government about how these alternative fuel geeks are undermining them, as they get PAID to take the WVO away, refine it, and re-sell it.

So, California says you have to have a permit to collect the oil which costs money, and you have to post a big dollar bond. Then, they want road tax per gallon on your home brew fuel. Oregon, Illinois do likewise. Big fines if you get caught…

So much for trying to do the right thing. It should be easy and cost effective to do what’s right! What about free enterprise? Total BS.

Not to say its a quality vehicle, but…

– Last Updated: May-13-06 1:37 AM EST –

I was a little surprised to see that no one mentioned the Dodge Magnum, it gets 29mpg. I'm not sure it's towing capacity, but it aint no small car. Kind of reminiscent of Griswald's stylin wagon in "Vacation". I know it’s a Dodge (that’s why I’m only a little surprised no one mentioned it.)

I myself have been looking for a small non-fuelish wagon which I can afford on a gov. salary. Where is the Jetta Wagon. I don't understand why its been discontinued. I checked out a Suzuki Forensic (or something) tonight. Not too bad: 30mpg, under 15K, and low.

VW quality
It can be spotty at times, and definitely varies with where it was assembled. I’ve had 4 of them, and the Canadian built one, and my current German built Jetta TDI Wagon were the best.

The Jetta actually has been the most trouble-free car I’ve ever owned. 56K miles so far, and not a single repair. We also have a Volvo V40 wagon, which the same cannot be said about: The heater core blew at 42K, and the rear brakes froze and shredded at 44K. It also is hard to start & Volvo can’t seem to figure out why.

Cars have gotten complex enough now that quality varies from unit to unit. You just take your chances when you buy & make sure you get a good warranty.

Wayne

Free?
>It should be easy and cost effective to do what’s >right! What about free enterprise?

It’s only free when nobody else is profiting from it. I’m not the least bit surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised. Money talks, and politicians line up at the trough.

Wayne