Trying DIY Greenland Paddle in SOT in Small Surf

I don’t think I’ve posted a video or pics for ages; I don’t like messing with the gopro when the waves are good or really big. A little while ago I got out to try a newly carved paddle in tiny surf with lots of leopard sharks for company. The waves are not very exciting and rides are short and pretty much straight-in (no roundhouse cut backs in 2’ surf) , but the GP is a lot of fun to change things up. For high performance surfing on waveskis I’ll stick to my old worn Onno, but the Greenland Paddle works surprisingly well for SOT surfing.

2 Likes

Nice job on the paddle, surfing it and the video! Small waves but you milked them as well as can be done. That last ride was a nice long diagonal. :slight_smile:

I did see the shadows of shart in the water. Dunno, kind of disconcerting for me.

sing

Looks like fun!

The Leopard Sharks are about 4 or 5 feet mostly, and about as scary as puppy dogs. You can’t tell in the video but a few of the sharks are surfing along with my boat.

Hey, V, a question - does your Strike have hard scalloped rails running the length of the boat?!?

I just picked up a Cobra Revision and am SURPRISED to find seriousl, crazy hard scalloped rails that run the length of the whole boat. It’s akin to the scalloped rails of the Infinity Stinger Waveski, except even more pronounced!!! I am excited – the rails combined with the 5" center fin should really allow this 13’ boat to dig seriously into a waveface on a diagonal run. Much more so the hard chines of the surfing longboats. Trade-off is probably “trippiness” if one isn’t paying attention to edge control.

Looking forward to maiden surf paddle.

sing

I’m not quite sure what you mean by scalloped rails. The rails are pretty much hard cutting but for about 90% of the length of the boat there is a channel that forms near the bow and gets deeper as it goes back about an inch or so inside of the rail, it gets shallower towards the tail, and ends about a foot or so from the tail. There are several shallow channels on the hull at the rear near the tail.

My stinger was a custom design, I talked with Steve or Dave Boehne on the phone a few times about how I would like it modified. There is a pronounced fold over of the rail for the front 2/3rds of the ski giving a rail that really holds like a giant fin and there is a channel next to it. The folded rail ends at the stinger near the rear of the seat and goes to a convex much narrower hull that lets the water release and gives the sensation of jet propulsion in turns.

I’m headed out tomorrow or Monday on the strike to use it in the wind chop we have going on, I’ll post a picture of the bottom.

Here is my Infinity Stinger:

Here is the Cobra Revision:

I have near seen aggressive rails like that on any RM surf craft I’ve ridden (e.g perception five o, riot boogie, Valley storm, ws kaos). I think, like the Infinity, its going to carve and grab onto a waveface like a minature side bite fin.

Looking forward to finding out.

sing

Got out yesterday to check out the point break. Boston Buoy registering 4’ plus wind swells with 6-7 second intervals and diagonal onshore. Well, the waves were mushy, disorganized and disappointing. Just itty bitty short pushes towards the cliff walls. Not a good test for the surfing capabilities of the ReVision.

The ReVision paddle well (more stable) and certainly faster than my shorter waveskis. Much better at getting out to the more far off breaks. Have to wait for some serious swells to fire off before trying that point again.

sing