Trying to decide on first boat

Hello, new to group and the sport. I’m trying to decide on my first kayak. Im mainly considering the Aspire 105 and Pungo line. I’m 6’2", 250 lbs. I am not concerned about my height so much as I am the weight. We are looking at mainly doing day trips on rivers with potentially light rapids. Thoughts on which might work best for a guy my size would be appreciated.
Thanks!

What is your weight? I’m 3" taller and weigh 220. I paddle a Pungo 140 that has just enough room .
It’s a great boat for flat water cruising. I also paddle a surf ski to and a SOT. The Pungo is very comfortable and has good speed for a rec boat. And light rapids are fun.

Thanks, Im weighing in at 250. Which sot?

Aspire for more river paddling, Pungo for more lakes. I owned both. They are completely different boats.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense, now finding someplace that has an aspire I can check out.

In this size range, I wold go fook the longest boat that meets your needs (and given Pungo has longer versions, that would mean one of them). If you don;t have limitations in storage or transport such that you can take a longer boat, and you aren’t in lots of super narrow streams where the longer length causes problems turning around, get the longer boat - you’ll come to appreciate it.

Looks like the Pungo 140 is no longer offered, so unless you can find used, you’d be looking at the 120 or 125.

ps you said “Which sot?”. These boats are recreational class kayaks, not sit on tops (SOTs).

My SOT is a WS Tarpon. Heavy but a good boat for lakes and rivers and the ocean if you know what you’re doing.
I have paddled the Pungo on slow rivers and tidal creeks.

What will the gear you bring weigh? (Including your PFD, paddle, food, water, electronics, … everything.)

Remember too that running a kayak near its weight capacity limit is going to result in a less pleasant paddling experience. The more you load a boat, of course, the lower in the water it rides which increases paddling effort. The experience becomes increasingly unpleasant as the paddling conditions worsen, too.

I weigh a little less than you (230-ish, but I’ve been over 240 recently) and I elected to get a Delta 15.5GT. It has a 400-pound capacity, so even if I load it up with gear for an overnight camping trip, it will still be comfortably underloaded. You can probably get away with a lower capacity, but I’d be looking for boats that can manage 350 - that way, if you expand into overnights, you’ll have some reserve capacity.

That was my thought too. I’ve also considered the Adventura in a 12 footer I like the 2 bulkheads.

The dual bulkheads (and the 400-pound carrying capacity) are why I got the Delta. (I know some smaller Deltas have dual holds, too. I’m sure others do as well.)

There are lots of boat options, at least, which is nice!

Consider also the empty boat’s weight, if you plan to portage it or carry it any distance.

1 Like

Something you really need to consider before buying your kayak is the weight of your kayak. It took me three kayaks before I found one that I was able to lift easily onto my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I bought a Swift Composite model that weighs in at 24 pounds. I first bought the Pungo 120 that weighed in at 54 pounds. Returned it two day later and bought Delta Kayak AR12 that weighed in at 44 pounds but being a 72 year old it’s still was too heavy to lift onto the Jeep with ease.

I sure wish someone had suggested this before I made all three purchases in 6 months.

Happy Kayaking.

1 Like

I am about to upgrade from my Tatum I have decided either want a feel free lure or a perception outlaw.