Tsunami 12.0 or 14.0

Yeah
Kinda doing things the hard way aren’t I. LOL

The TSU is blue!!

yep
5’11 and 175lb here and fit fine.

decide between 12 and 14 feet then the size M (120 or 140) and XL (125 or 145)

we JUST finished the Ts 135 a small person’s Tsunami that I still fit in. available in spring.

steve

Good fit all around
5’7" 215lbs here and have fit comfortably in all of the Tsunami’s I’ve ever tried (140s and 145s).

Thanks
for affirming my earlier description of the size difference’s Steve.

Not satisfied?
That is the only thing that has my a bit worried about buying a 120 or 140. Will I want something longer later? But then again I can only afford so much especially with buying 2 boats, PFD’s, paddles and a roof rack. $2000 is about my maximum amount I can comfortable spend for all of that. I’m so torn.

The catch…
Well, there’s the catch…there’s always “just one more” to demo, rent, buy, etc, etc, etc…

For the sort
of paddling you are looking to do the the Tsunami line will serve you really well, especially just starting out. Unless you truly want to get into sea kayaking right away, then you’ll be making a great choice. The Tsunami’s excel in lakes, protected waterways, rivers, creeks, etc.

Get the Tsunami’s for now, they will get you started, and are capable of handling anything you might throw at them. IF, and that is a really really really big IF, you decide in a year, 2 years, or 3 years that you want something different you can sell the Tsunami and purchase something else. Or you can save up your money in the meantime for a new boat if you want to keep the Tsunami in your fleet.

You will be making a great choice with the Tsunami’s, don’t second guess yourself.

Hey K
Are you sure you aren’t an undercover Wilderness Systems operative?!! LOL Kidding!!

Funny it
seems that way doesn’t it? I do love my Tsunami and I think they are great boats… Of course I will happily share that opinion with anyone asking about Tsunami’s.

In all reality though, whether the original poster is looking at Tsunamis, Carolinas, Cayugas, or whatever, if they feel that the boats fit their needs then they should go for it. Preferably they would go and test paddle them if possible, before they make their final decision. We all know the importance of sitting in and test paddling a boat before purchasing.

But I’d hate to see them second guess themselves because people have them thinking they need a 16 + foot boat for the type of paddling they want to do. They certainly are not looking at entry level rec boats, they are looking at mid level, and very capable boats that will grow with them quite a bit.

And so ends my rant!

To the original poster - now that I think about it one other comparable boat you may want to consider would be the Old Town Cayuga line. Similar in design, features, and function to the Tsunamis, but slightly different outfitting and handling.

agreed
The Tsuanmi will handle just about anything you can throw at it.

I use them a bunch in VERY rough ocean conditions.

camping and long distance touring would be a reason to have a longer boat.

btw- outfitting the Ts with a backstrap, replacing the backREST is a greaty performance upgrade, IMO.

steve

Mostl;y concur

– Last Updated: Aug-15-07 9:52 AM EST –

As a Tsunami owner who IS looking to upgrade, I must definitely agree about the versatility of the boat. I've had it out on some major crossings in rough conditions that have forced everyone - -- all the rest in those longer traditional sea-kayaks - to be at the top of their game. It handles conditions very well; I feel secure in it.

As for fit: the movable thigh braces and the outstanding System 3 seating adjustments have enabled me to customize even the large cockpit of the Tsunami 145 to my very average dimensions. I have excellent control.

There's just those matters of cruising speed and windage. Otherwise, I wouldn't be looking.

And frankly, the WS Tempest is very high on the upgrade list. Several folks that paddle with me have Tempests and truly couldn't be more happy with them. The system 3 seating with the lower backband is a huge plus.

well d’UH!
“And frankly, the WS Tempest is very high on the upgrade list. Several folks that paddle with me have Tempests and truly couldn’t be more happy with them. The system 3 seating with the lower backband is a huge plus.”

and I concur, as well…

:wink:

steve

yeah,
I am still waiting for my composite Tempest 165 flatpick promised me over two years ago.

Paul

Tempest, Tsunami
The Tempest is an absolutely beautiful boat be it in poly or composite. I would love one of my own but I climbed in one last week and could just not get comfortable. I guess since it’s a good 2" narrower than anything else I’ve ever paddled it was more me than the boat itself. Steve, you guys have the Tsunami SP (small person) so when do we get the Tempest BP (big person)?

I pulled the trigger

– Last Updated: Aug-15-07 7:13 PM EST –

After showing my wife this thread she and I agreed to get the Tsunami 14.0. Hers will be blue and mine Mango. We are both excited, now we just have to figure out which vehicle to carry them on, the Tacoma or 4Runner. Thanks to everyone for putting their 2 cents worth in. We both appreciated it.

we do
it’s a Tempest 180. f/g only…soon in roto…maybe.

steve

Oooh…Ahhh…
NICE…never looked at the 180 before. That extra inch of width just might give me the extra room around the waist and hips I need to be comfortable. I’ll have to seriously save up my nickels unless that one is really coming out in poly soon.

been saying it fer years!
and now with a change of CEO guard @ CWS we may see it happen.

In poly there isn’t really a BIG guy’s Brit boat. The big P/H Capella is close.

steve

Congratulations!!
You’ve chosen a couple of great boats to start kayaking with, and you’ll be able to learn and grow a lot in them. Hope you get to enjoy a lot of great adventures in them on the water. Good luck!!

Watch This Guy
If he isn’t already employed by WS, he ought to be. :slight_smile:

My TSU 125 arrived today. She’s a beaut. Can’t wait to get this baby on the water Saturday. Probaby lake paddle this weekend and river next.