Tsunami 12.0 or 14.0

I’m jealous
I really want to get out on the water this weekend, but I’m helping my brother move. The chances of paddling are looking slim right now.

UHG
Moving sux!! Done more than my share of that. Good luck with the move. Maybe you can squeeze a short R&R float in. After moving, you will need it.

If we don’t get some rain around here soon, lake paddling may be the ONLY option. THINK RAIN!!

Liked your comments, I got a Tsunami 140 last summer and like the performance, fit and feel of it. However getting it on / off car is difficult for me and wonder if I should downsize to a tsunami 125?

I live in North Ohio and mainly kayak on rivers small lakes and sometimes Lake Erie.

I’m usually out for a few hours but would enjoy doing some day trips soon.

Would I be disappointed with the performance of 125 after being used to my 140?

Any other comments or experiences are appreciated.

Sometimes Lake Erie = big water. Keep the 14ft Tsunami. The 12 ft is not a big water kayak.

1 Like

I also find that loading a longer boat is easier than a shorter one. 14-15 feet seems to be the sweet spot at least in my experience, especially loading solo. Maybe it’s time to re-evaluate your roof rack system? Lots of options out there to make things easier.

3 Likes

Thanks

Thanks I currently have Yakima Sweet Roll System. I’m in my late 60’s, shoulder, back and knee pain so the sheer weight and size is a challenge to load/unload. I always ask strangers in the parking area of launch for help. Any suggestions on roof rack systems that don’t cost as much as the kayak?

Thanks

You have a decent system - how tall is your car and how would you attempt to load the boat if you had no help? Even with a second person lifting a boat onto a car can be tough, especially if you’re on the hood end and have to reach over. I always load and unload alone (unless with other paddlers; I’ve had my boats dropped by non paddlers a couple of times) - I use a bathmat on the back edge of the roof, place the bow on the bathmat, stern on the ground, then pick up the stern and slide the boat on. If the stern was in a sling it would be less lifting. Of my two plastic kayaks, the 15’ is much easier to load this way than the 12.5’ - the angles are much better. They weigh within a couple of pounds (53 vs 56 lbs), I don’t notice the weight difference until I pick up my carbon 18 footer that weighs 45 lb!

2 Likes

Thanks! What you describe about second person lifting a boat onto a car can be tough, especially if you’re on the hood end & the bath mat method when alone is spot on exactly what I do and experience.

I have a Mazda CX 9 :red_car: SUV that the roof is 6 feet high with the Yakima Sweetrolls.

I have arthritis and other than that am in good health. On the water can paddle hours, I just dread getting kayak on and off the car.

Agree with Brodie about loading longer boats being easier than shorties. The toughest loader is my 10 ft creek kayak. Much prefer loading the 17 ft sea kayak over the 14, but 14 is a breeze compared to the 10ft kayak. As he said, it’s about the angles. The bathmat is a great idea!

Thanks again Any thoughts on 125 performance vs 140?

Have paddled the 14 ft though never the 12.5. All the standard stuff based on size that you can research anywhere: 125 should turn slightly easier, but be slower when trying to cover distance. 140 should carry more gear. A 140 will handle open water paddling when conditions get rough if you have the skills where a 125 will be more difficult to control.

My personal thought is the 125 is an awkward size that is 1) too short to enjoy the advantages of a sea kayak and 2) at the higher end lengthwise but not as maneuverable as a shorter creek kayak. The few 12 foot kayaks I’ve paddled I did not enjoy because it seemed they did not want to move (and I am only meaning casual paddling speed) unless there was water flow pushing them. I don’t own any 12 ft kayaks for that reason. Kayaks in my small fleet are 14 - 17.5 ft (for sea and rivers) or 10 ft (for creeks & surfing).

PS: the short creek kayak is the hardes to load on my car top racks ( VW Jetta and Ford Explorer).

Wow, good advice! I should probably stick with my 140, which I’m happy with. I was just thinking that a 125 would be slightly easier to load up everything I’m hearing doesn’t make it so.

I included an image I copied off an Amazon website that summarizes the physical specs of each of the tsunami kayaks. Hope this helps you. If it’s not clear you can actually search for one of the tsunami’s on Amazon and as you page down you’ll see this comparison chart more clearly.

Thanks again!

Only 2 lbs lighter and a foot+ shorter it’ll probably be harder to load, not easier, and a less useful boat all around. Also it’s wider, shorter, and deeper, and thus likely to be slower and less fun to paddle. Keep the 140.

2 Likes

Do you have a hitch on your SUV? You might be able to keep an eye out of Facebook Marketplace, or Craigslist, or something like that for a small, used utility trailer? I’ve seen people tow their kayaks instead of carrying them on the roof.

I don’t have a hitch, but I have considered that. My daughter told me to consider it. Thanks

Thanks.

FYI, I got this Channel Loader a few days ago and tried to load the kayak onto the back of my car and onto the Yakima sweet rolls, and it was definitely easier than putting it on a bathmat. Only $63, I think it’s worth it, at least for me.

Malone Channel Loader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSG9CWZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PT7834B5N24XR8WJBYN6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hope everyone can see this message not just the one person I reply to? Not real sure how this forum with posting questions, replies, etc. works

Post is showing up fine. Glad that worked out for you!