Tsunami 140 vs. 145

This year, I’m hoping to move up from my rec boat to a small touring model. Currently, the WS Tsunami is on top of my list.

When it was first listed on their website, they showed the width of the 145 as something like 3" wider than the 140. I figured that this would equate into a lot more storage, and for another fifty bucks, this was an easy decision. But they’ve updated the website, and the 140 is now only half an inch narrower.

Since the website doesn’t list cargo capacity, it makes the two models nearly identical, and I’m wondering why they even bothered to make two of them. Are there differing features that I’ve overlooked?

I also wonder
why they made two. My local dealer only carries the 145; doesn’t see the need or have the space for two similar models.

145 is higher
I paddled both the 140 and the 145. The larger one is considerably larger in height as well as length. The thigh braces on the 140 fit me perfectly, but my thighs were well below those on the 145. Wilderness Systems is correct to have two models. I may get the 145 for its larger capacity and re-work the thigh braces to fit me better.

Does anyone know the stats?
If the 145 has considerably more room for the thighs and more cargo area, that would be a good thing to know. Does anyone know what the actual differences are between the two models?

Just Glanced At The Stats
140 Capacity = 400 lbs

145 Capacity = 500 lbs

I’d say that’s a significant difference.

Tsunami Stats
The WS website has height of 140 as 15 inches and the 145 as 16 inches. I have the 140, and when I sat in the 145 the thigh braces were too high - no chance of contact. The 140 fits me much better, is about 4 or 5 pounds lighter as well.

Had it out today on the Fox River. When I got out, set it on the snow bank while I put the paddle and gear in the car. After a few minutes, I heard a noise and looked to see the kayak slowly sliding to the river. A run and dive - just short. The kayak went into the river with momentum and quickly out to the middle.

Hopped in my van and drove downriver with it. At a norrower spot in the river I stopped, got out my spinning rod. Quickly put on a jig, three casts and I had it. Brought her in and secured her on the roof of the van.

Don’t know what I would have done without my fishing rod.

size
140 is a size Medium

145 is a Large

everything else is the same.

steve

Steve, Do you mean paddler size?
or is it just marketing?

My local outfitter is stocking the 140 only so I won’t have a chance to try out the 145. Is the difference primarily storage space?

size
Wildy does a GREAT job of designing and building ‘families’ of boats. Very similar characteristics are in each boat, tho they differ in SIZE. Size of storeage capacity, intended paddler, etc.

The 140 is the smaller of the 2.

a dealer that only stocks one is like a clothes store only having one size flannel shirts or a auto dealer only having one size pick-up. d’oh.

steve

Re: size
I know the dealer that Chipheb is talking about. They’re located on a lake and demo all of their stuff. I don’t think they carry a huge inventory of boats for sale, but they do carry a fairly huge selection of brands and models.

Perhaps their thinking is that if they have the 140 for you to demo, you might be able to figure out on your own if you’d like to buy the 145 if you’re aware of the difference in size. Personally, I’m glad that they decided to include a 140, rather than to have every version of another model that I’m not interested in.

cherry pickin
manufacturers call that cherry picking. hoping having a boat or two from the line will help sell boats they don’t stock. been there and it makes it REAL tough to touch/feel/demo the real thing.

at least with these 2 boats it is just a matter of size, as the handling characterisics are very similar.

steve

So many to choose from
I’m simply amazed at how many kayaks there are to choose from. If you simply go to Pnet’s Product Review section and look at the long list of manufacturers, then go to any of the major manufacturers and look at the long list of models they have, it’s a bit daunting.

Yes, I understand that A) some of the manufacturers may be obscure, and the vast majority of models listed are probably obsolete. But even still… I can’t imagine how a dealer smaller than Home Depot could carry all of them, or even most of them. Keeping that kind of inventory would be a whopping cash investment.

Not to mention… From what I’ve read here on Pnet, dealers don’t make a whole hell of a lot of money from kayak sales. That’s why you don’t see kayaks being sold for hundreds of dollars less at kayaks-R-us.com (don’t look up that website - I made it up). So if a dealer demos every model that a manufacter puts out, he’s going to take a serious hit trying to ultimately sell all those “used” boats.

I thought
that many demo boats were blems, sold to the dealer specifically for use as demo boats. I’ve certainly seen boats with DEMO hot-stamped into the hull by the serial number.

LOL!
Great story - gave me a good laugh today. Thanks for that. I always have my fishing rod with me when I yak - if I ever get separated from my boat I’ll know how to retrieve it now.

Huge Difference
Hate to revive an old topic that was already on page 3 of this site. However, I sat in both the 145 and the 140 this weekend. They are two entirely different yaks. I am average height and thin and the 140 fit me extremely well and I was swimming (figuratively speaking) in the 145 which felt very uncomfortable.

putting on jeans that are 4" too big, length and waist!

=:-0)

steve

Thanks, Bruce!
I’m average height and weight. I was thinking a little of the 145, due to the increased cargo space, but the truth is that we only go camping occasionally, and 95% of the time the yak is only carrying me, a water bottle and my camera.

Sounds like the 140 would be the sensible choice.