Tsunami 140 vs Necky Manitou 14 loading

I have looked through the archives regarding these boats, and have a couple more questions. I have paddled the Tsunami 120,125,140(Duralite) and the Necky Manitou 14, Current Designs Kestrel 140 and a Hurricane Tampico. All except the Hurricane were poly boats. I think I have narrowed it down to the Tsunami 140 and the Necky. My biggest remaining concern is being able to load the boats by myself on my Subaru Outback. I was able to load the 120 easily. The 140 duralite, which is supposed to be almost 10lbs lighter (44lbs) than the 120 (53 lbs), was much more difficult. Is that because of the extra length? I have trouble believing that duralite was really that much lighter given how hard it was to load. If the 140 poly is going to be that much more difficult (55lbs) to load, would I be giving up a lot of performance by reconsidering the Tsunami 120? The Necky is quite a bit lighter (49lbs), but the fit of the 120/140 cockpit is very comfortable for me. Anyone with experience with these boats in particular?

Thanks for the help.

Kasia

I wouldn’t
Rule out a favorite because of loading and unloading. While it may be easier to load a 12’ as opposed to a 14’ the real question is, are you sacrificing your enjoyment on the water to buy the shorter boat?? There are plenty of products available to help you lift your kayak on the roof-

I myself have a Tsunami 125 and it fits all my needs on the water-

loading/unloading
I guess I didn’t say it well in my first post. I really like the 120 and had fun paddling it. I also like the 140 and think that it might be better in the long run, as far as performance goes. I should have said that my husband paddles a 15.5 foot Liquid Logic Seneca that goes quite fast. I was afraid that I might not be able to keep up with him in the 120. That said, if I can’t load the boat by myself, it might get used much less. I want to make sure that I won’t buy a boat that only gets used if I have help to load it.

Thanks again,

Kasia

1 Like

We have a Necky Manitou 13 and WS Pungo 120. The Manitou weighs about 45 lbs, and the Pungo about 50. Even though it is a foot longer than the Pungo, I find the Manitou much easier to carry and load than the Pungo. It makes a big difference when loading and carrying a kayak by yourself. I don’t hesitate to take the Manitou out by myself but would be much more reluctant to take the Pungo. I was tempted to buy a Manitou 14 but would have difficulty storing it in my garage (the 13 barely fits below the ceiling when stored on end), plus I like the ease of loading and carrying the 13.

WS
Consider the WS Tsunami 135. Its 5 lbs lighter than the 140. Even though you lose a few inches of length, it is also narrower, which may make up for that when it comes to speed.

loading a kayak on a car can be easy
to start with - don’t worry about lifting the whole kayak up at one time.

Try this… (assuming you have crossbars and foam pads or “u” shaped cradles)

Place the kayak next to your car with the front hatch about even with the rear tire. Make sure the back of your kayak is lined up with the cradles. Your kayak will be at an angle to the car (not parallel). Place a plush bathmat on your car (rubber side down), behind your cradles and draped over the rear window.

Now, lift up the front of your kayak and place it in the rear cradle. Walk to the back of the kayak and pickup/slide the kayak forward until you have it where you want it. The bathmat allows the kayak to slide forward without rubbing against the paint. The rudder side of the mat keeps it from sliding too much while pushing the kayak.

This technique actually works better with longer kayaks.

A 12 or 13 foot boat
can be paddled at about 3.5kts without a lot of effort. Unless you’re paddling with a group of dedicated fast paddlers, the Manitou 13 or Tsunami 12 should do just fine. I paddled a 13’ Mariner Coaster for several years and never got left behind and the boat was wonderfully easy to handle out of the water.

John

Was there much diff between Manitou’s?
13 vs. 14? I’ve got my eye on a 14. I paddle a Stingray 14 now that’s about 4" wider and I’d hope the Manitou is more efficient. It’s also 8lbs heavier than the Manitou 14, so the weight would be an improvement.

Just wondering if you noticed much difference between the two.

YoS

mixed priorities

– Last Updated: Jul-13-08 12:15 PM EST –

it's not a matter of you keeping up with your husband, it's whether you and your husband consider paddling together means paddling near each other or in sight of each other. If he's simply paddling with more hp a different boat really won't make a difference. The only time I've seen a different boat make a difference is when the slower paddler is woefully mismatched with too heavy a boat. Usually it's a function of the stronger paddler wanting to go at 75% effort leaving the slower paddler going 90% just to keep up. If the stronger paddler can't figure out how to go at a 60% effort (duh) so the slower can keep up at 75% then it's pretty much two paddlers going at different speeds. The stronger paddler decides to paddle WITH the weaker paddler, or he/she doesn't, the boat really isn't the issue until th efforts increase,,and then it's still the faster paddler deciding to paddle WITH or at his/her own pace.

The Manitou 14 is good for big people, not for going fast or a weaker paddler to get more speed/efficiency.

You don't mention your size/weight. I'd look for efficient and light hulls, tippy for guys but perfectly acceptable for women. If you're under 225lbs the Manito 13 is a very efficient hull and relatively light kayak. If you're lighter than 175lbs then searching around for skinnier boats might make the difference but you'll be looking at sea kayaks of various niches. It you aren't paddling faster than 3mph there really isn't a need to look at longer boats as much as lighter or more efficient. Have you paddled a Manitou 13?

Tsunami 120 vs 140
I would recommend as some have said that you not make the choice based on what loads easier. There are plenty rack loading assist devices on the market to help solve that problem. And your Subaru is not the tallest vehicle to load in the world.

If we knew a bit more about your size as a paddler that would help, and also knowing what types of water you plan to use the boat on would be helpful as well.

Unless you are going to be paddling tight winding waterways where you really need the extra maneuverability of the 120 I’d suggest you go with the 140. Its extra length will give you more storage area, and a lil more stability on larger bodies of water. Speed different between the two is minimal.

As far as weight differences go, don’t be fooled by manufacturer posted weights - these boats are all poly nad weight varies boat by boat from production lot to production lot. Duralite will really make a real and noticeable difference in weight, it isn’t just marketing hype. If you can afford my recommendation would be the Tsunami 140 in Duralite. You’ll save some weight without sacrificing the size/length, and you’ll learn to load it by yourself I guarantee.

Good luck in your search!