tsunami 140 with 250lbs?

Ok, I’ve been looking at a light duty day touring kayak, and there are a few of them I like.

One of them that fits me quite nicely, is the tsunami 140. I haven’t gotten to paddle it yet, and am unlikely for several months, but I wanted to know if any other heavy paddlers have used this boat.

I weigh in about 230, figure 250 with some fishing gear, lunch, and general emergency gear. How well does this boat perform with this type of a load?

Any help would be appreciated. Wilderness Systems claims the Tsunami has a max load of 300lbs, how does it float at that level? Are you right at the cockpit or something?

I know I should paddle it before buying, but the deal I am getting I can sell it second hand for almost as much. Also, I don’t know if I have enough skill to really differentiate between the two or three of this class of boats that I am looking at besides cockpit feel. All of which are comparable in my opinion.

T145 for comparison
At 230 lbs, I’ve demoed the Tsunami 145 and thought that it moved and maneuvered very well.

fine
the weight rates are quite conservative. you lose performance as you creep above them but they are still quite seaworthy. I personally test these numbers in ‘conditions’ before they go out. comfort in the seat is key. is the 140 comfy or do you need/want a little more room?

steve

See…
I was really quite comfy.

Now after reading some of the reviews I have some second thoughts.

Flatpick, can I pick your brain on some items of the tsunami?

How capable is it in rough weather? How reasonable is it for large bodies of water (read great lakes)?

Am I looking at the wrong item?

My needs are a boat thats can navigate medium sized rivers, medium sized inland lakes, the great lakes, and still be stored easily.

Would a reasonably skilled paddler be safe in something like the tsunami?

If its a case like that then I can upgrade my skills, on paper it looks like a good boat for me.

oh yeah…
Flatpick, can I pick your brain on some items of the tsunami?

YES

How capable is it in rough weather?

VERY. there’s a pic on the front of the AT catalog of me in very big stuff. I like it alot. short and sweet.

How reasonable is it for large bodies of water (read great lakes)?

well…long trips over flat water are OK but a longer boat will haul more gear and move a bit more effeciently. but only a bit. we did tests and found the Ts boats were quite effecient.

Am I looking at the wrong item?

NO

My needs are a boat thats can navigate medium sized rivers, medium sized inland lakes, the great lakes, and still be stored easily.

YES, small-med rivers with current? double YES.

Would a reasonably skilled paddler be safe in something like the tsunami?

YES. change the backrest into a strap. EZ swap with tempest backstrap or aftermarket. possibly add third bulkhead for true dayhatch.

If its a case like that then I can upgrade my skills, on paper it looks like a good boat for me.

YES. like I said, it’s a go to boat for playing in heavy stuff around here if alot of distance and/or speed isn’t a biggie.

hope this helps.

steve

any one ever tell you
any one ever tell you (today), that you’re really handy to have around?

I really appreciate your help, and I’ve really appreciated your posts in the past.

Thanks again. I hope wilderness systems and confluence appreciate your contributions as much as we do.

write 'em
and tell 'em. I DO take my job seriously!

:slight_smile:

and thanks!

steve

tried to email you on here
tried to email you via paddling.net but got a bounce error.

Can you drop me some info (full name, folks to contact, etc) so I can? I take good customer service very seriously. Few things beat getting honest direct answers via an open forum from an employee, when I dont even own the product yet.

Also, you mentioned that there is a pic of you in a tsunami in rough water… can you elaborate as to where? Not familiar with the acronym AT yet :slight_smile:

Thanks

AT- Adventure Technology
It’s a paddle company in the Confluence ‘family’

I’ll post a link to the pic soon as I download it.

thanks

steve

link
http://tinyurl.com/y5edr8

the Tsunami 140 in action. this shot was the cover of the AT catalog. It was taken near lincoln City, OR about a year ago. It was a typical 8’ day on the Pacific.

steve

so its probably you…
in the wilderness systems catalog in an orange tsunami by the rocks eh?

When i was at the paddleshop they sent me with a copy of the catalog

yeah. back and front covers
I fergot about that. d’oh.

the guy with the gray beard!

:slight_smile:

steve