Tsunami 145 vs. CD Squamish

I’m debating between a used WS Tsunami 145 and a CD Squamish. I’m 5’8", about 145-150 lb and had been looking for a Tsunami 140. Would a 145 work for me or would it be too big?

The Tsunami 145 is really big. I’m about your size and I find the 140 on the big side (although I am used to tighter fitting sea kayaks). I think you’ll be swimming around inside the 145.

1 Like

Do you opportunity to sit in each and paddle? I believe the WS has a rudder while CD a skeg if that matters to you. Each are a very capable kayak.

1 Like

I agree with Brodie. We owned a Tsunami 145 years ago and it’s a large boat and I think you’d be swimming in it.

1 Like

I agree with the others. The 145 is big, both deep and wide. I weigh about 135 and it was like being in a bath tub. My spouse is around 160 and it was much too big on him, too. II’ve also paddled the 140 and found that way too big, as well. Never paddled the Squamish but it seems lower volume from the specs. If you can try it out that would help a lot.

Also Andy makes a good point regarding the skeg vs rudder. The Tsunamis I’ve paddled had neither skeg not rudder, but it’s nice to have one - I personally prefer a skeg - if you plan to paddle in any wind.

1 Like

The Tsunamis usually come rudder-ready if the rudder isn’t already installed. I think about $250 for a rudder kit.

1 Like

Thanks to all of you - this feedback has been very helpful.

Squamish all day long and twice on Sunday! Tsunami is a great pure beginner sea kayak. The Squamish is a smaller person’s plastic sea kayak. If you wanted to upgrade from one to the other, the better kayak is the Squamish to which you would upgrade.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the Tsunami, but I have owned a Squamish. It was a very fast boat. It was tippy, but I got used to that. I can understand why there is a comment here on the review that this kayak was a favorite of those learning to roll. I sold it because it did not fit me well. I’m 5’10’’. The deck height was low and I had no wiggle room for my legs. The cockpit is small. Unlike most kayaks, where you sit in the seat and then pull your legs in, with the Squamish, you had to sit on the back deck with your legs in the cockpit and slide in. It was a tricky affair. Getting out was harder and I tipped myself into the water on a number of occasions. I do miss its speed though. I sold it last spring. Of interest was that there was a used Squamish at a local dealers for a few years and only sold when everybody was buying Kayaks last summer when there was the mad rush to buy outdoor equipment. If you have an opportunity to try both out, I would recommend that. A Squamish might be good for a dedicated kayaker interesting in learning advanced skills, but probably not a good choice for most.

1 Like

You are probably 4 inches taller than anyone I would recommend a Squamish to buy. No doubt it was an uncomfortable “fit” since it was designed for smaller paddlers.

Thanks again for the feedback. I’m 5’8" as noted above and tested the squamish. A bit tight, but I fit. I don’t think I would recommend to anyone bigger than me but it actually fit very well for me - feels like a good boat to learn to roll in, etc.

That’s great you feel comfortable in the Squamish. Fit is such an individual issue.

1 Like

Did you buy the Squamish? Picture???

I did! Took it out for a bit in a reservoir and realized that (a) it is tippy, (b) it is fast, and (c) I fit in but cannot grow anymore. Seems like a really fun kayak, can’t wait to get out on the water in the next couple weeks. And take rolling lessons. I’ll post a pic once I get out and about. Thanks again to all for the feedback.

1 Like

Excellent! Glad it worked out. In my experience the perception of tippiness will quickly lessen as you get used to the boat, and that a snug fit will be much better when you’re learning skills. The Tsunami would’ve been the opposite of tippy. Maybe one day you’ll encounter someone with one, and will get to try it out and be thankful for your Squamish. :wink: Dunno if you’re young enough to anticipate growing more in the upward direction, but if not the boat will provide incentive not to grow in the outward direction. When you’re ready, find the “Show Off Your Boat” thread and post pictures. That thread needs to be kept going forever!

Yes - my post is still the most recent in that thread, from December!

Have you considered the Dagger Stratos 14.5S?

Thanks again to all for your help earlier in the spring. Finally got the squamish out for a decent, multi-hour paddle today and it was great - really fast and easy to cut through the (flat) water. Toward the end I sort of wished for a bit more padding on my back, but very happy. Thanks again!

1 Like