Tsunami 165 -Vs- Tempest 170

Tsunami 165 Vs. Tempest 170 (both in plastic)

Please, let’s stick with Wilderness systems… one more variable and I’ll go crazy :slight_smile:

Ideally I would like to hear from people who have experience with these two boats, but I’ll take any useful comments from anyone.

Because I am a beginner and my height (5 – 4”), someone advised the Tsunami 140. Later I decided on the 160 (more storage) or 165 (for my larger waist! :slight_smile: but, I don’t see too many Tsunamis on sale now during this time of the year. But I do still see sales new (and used) of the Tempest 170 which seems to indicate this is a popular boat. Now, there is a 170 boat in my local store for $1100 on sale (normally $1500…), which is a great deal and I am tempted!

The salesman told me that there was not much of a difference between the two boats in the longer sizes (over 16 ft). Someone else told me that the Tempest was more “tipsy” than the Tsunami 160.

So whom do I believe?..I mean, salesmen are salesmen after all… Does anyone know the actual differences of these 2 boats?

tsunami vs tempest
tsunami is a big fat barge of a boat designed for overweight people with no desire to develop their skills.Or for people looking for a huge sloppy fitting cockpit and huge volume for no good reason.

Tempests are designed to fit the paddler properly and will do anything a real sea kayak should.

I’m 6’1 180lbs and a tempest 170 fit me about right, i think at 5’4 you should try the smaller fitting tempest 165.

Check out the archives
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=490381

Man by the name of Flatpick had a little something to do with the design of both. Very knowledgeable.

Paddle Them
Go rent or borrow them for a few hours. Try the Tempest 165 also if you aren’t too heavy.

first
you want to be in a Tempest 165…not a 170…you will swim in that…

tempest…fast a bit more of what has been termed ‘a performance boat’…think of suv vs a sportscar…

Two boats

– Last Updated: Oct-23-06 5:32 PM EST –

Tsunami 16 - 23.5 inches wide. Rudder.

Adds speed to the equation for a transitional touring kayak - lean and sleek for smaller paddlers.

Tsunami 16.5 - 23.75 inches wide. Rudder.

"Added depth, length and cockpit favors larger paddlers wanting an easily managable, lean, efficient kayak capable of weekend trips."

Tempest 16 - 21.5 inches wide. Skeg.

"Paddlers with smaller frames who want big time performance choose the 165. Scaled slightly smaller, with a 13" depth, for smaller framed paddlers"

Tempest 17 - 22.0 inches wide. Skeg.

The Tsunamis are new boats. If you really think you want a rudder, then a Tsunami is your only choice. It should be a good boat, especially for "more casual" paddlers.

Being 5'4'' will tend to make a boat less "tippy" as would being heavier.

You might find the Tempest a bit tippy at first but in an hour or so, you'll probably be fairly comfortable. Keep in mind that "tippiness" is a feature not a defect (and the Tempest probably is not that tippy as far as sea kayaks go).

If you are interested in developing skills, the Tempest would be the preferrable boat. If you really "get into" sea kayaking, you might prefer the Tempest. The Tempest is a "true" sea kayak (and a very nice one at that).

If you are interested in sea kayaking, I really don't see the need to get a "beginner" boat.

You might concider the smaller versions of the Tsunami or Tempest. It's not uncommon for people to buy a boat that has more volume than they need.

Note that the length and width of the cockpits of the Tsunami 16 and the Tsunami 16.5 are the same (35 and 19 inches).

I’ll Ask It…

– Last Updated: Oct-23-06 5:16 PM EST –

What do you weigh? It makes a difference.

What rider604 said up there is true.

had to didn’t you?
even if she weighs 180 the Tempest 165 would be a better choice

Well Said!
Very well said indeed! The Tempest 165 would be a fun boat to paddle…the Tusnami’s though…not!

Tempest 165
I’ve never paddled any of the Tsunamis, or a Tempest 170, for that matter.

I do own a Tempest 165 and think that it might fit you better than the 170. Try them all if you can.

I love the 165! It has more than met all my expectations and I can’t wait to try lotsa new things with this kayak.

Weight question response
Check the profile and you’ll notice the one who posted the question is not a female, but rather a smaller framed male.

As a short statured person, I can attest to the fact that kayaks with a more shallow depth do make a difference in how a boat handles, as opposed to one that is deeper. It could be compared to wearing a size 14 shoe and your feet are size 8.

well
I am 6 ft and 200 and felt the tempest 170 was too big. go figure. Am going to be trying out the tempest 165 Saturday…woohoo. maybe there will be an addition to the Legend, the Outer Island, and the skin boat…I need a plastic boat anyway.

course i am a little weird as i have a real penchant for low low volume boats.

Paul

to the original poster please bear in mind that most dealers depend on you buying a starter boat, then upgrading to a more transitional boat that allows (up to a point) some sea kayaking, and then to a full blown sea kayak. The only difference is the learning curve.

I went from an Otter type to the Tempest 170…took about an hour or two to feel stable. I tried the tsunami but it felt too sluggish and too wide. I would highly highly recommend the tempest

In other words the tempest will do everything the tsunami can do but better and faster. kinda a no brainer to me.

P

rudder vs skeg
is probably the biggest difference. sounds like the Tempest 165 would be a better fit instead of the 170 if the tempest is more desireable.

Both boats will handle a weekend or weeks load and whatever conditions you want to throw at it. many folks prefer the rudder and many the skeg. your call. The tsunami series does have a touch more width (stability) and tracking (less maneouverable)

both boats perform well and will do anything you want. If you want very similar cockpit fit the Tsunami backrest can be changed out to a tempest-style backSTRAP. this helps performance IMO.

steve

co-designer of both boats

Hey hold on! - My weight ? big bones! :slight_smile:
LET’S NOT GET PERSONAL HERE! :)… It’s true I have a… few … pounds… well, ok.

LOL - Just kidding.

I appreciate your plain frank opinion :slight_smile:

5 - 4" / 205 lbs - too heavy :slight_smile:
NO JOKES HERE OK? :slight_smile:

Yes I know, I am basically “square.” I am trying to lose weight and I hope to be 180 by next spring. But lets’ plane on 180 lbs… which is better? 165 or 170. But 170 is only 6" longer… what is the big difference?

what he said
To chose, it would be best to think about what style of paddling you intend to pursue. If you’re goal is pleasant, nature watching, occassional camping, and you have little desire to work on skill progression in increasingly challenging conditions (flat water, nice weather only), then the Tsunami may be more to your liking as it will be easier to paddle. If, on the other hand, your goal is to be able go to out when the weather is not as nice (very windy with waves) or to go into places with waves (surf zone, inlets) and to learn boat control strokes and perhaps to roll, then the Tempest would be a better choice. Note that you can take the Tsunami into these conditions, but it is more of a flat water boat than the Tempest, which is a very capable rough water boat. As Paul points out, many folks start with a reassuring boat and then end up upgrading. You’ll have to decide for yourself on the “target” and then see which feels best when you demo. At your size, the correct Tempest will be the 165, not the 170. Both are great boats, so you’re fine not looking outside Wildy.

it’s too big
what is your paddling experience?

The 165 can handle the weight.

If you don’t have the horsepower getting a big boat, even if you’re 205lbs it isn’t worth it. The T170 is a big boat. I think you’re too short for it.

Not much experience
I don’t have any experience with either boat other then sitting in them, but from that experience and from reading what others have to say the difference it more then just 6 inches. It’s not just the same boat stretched out a little more, it has a lot more volume then the Tempest 165.

Alan

Beautiful explanation - thank you!
fist of all, THANKS to everyone for the feedback!.. very useful! :slight_smile:

To chose, it would be best to think about what style of paddling you intend to pursue. If you’re goal is pleasant, nature watching, occassional camping, and you have little desire to work on skill progression in increasingly challenging conditions (flat water, nice weather only), then the Tsunami may be more to your liking as it will be easier to paddle.

Yes, you described perfectly! that is what has attracted me to Kayaking for now… later… who knows I might change my mind… but now, all I want is a beautiful, fun, way to excersise

If, on the other hand, your goal is to be able go to out when the weather is not as nice (very windy with waves) or to go into places with waves (surf zone, inlets) and to learn boat control strokes and perhaps to roll, then the Tempest would be a better choice.

No, not for now…

Note that you can take the Tsunami into these conditions,

Great, good to know that… because I may plan for a “nice weather” day out… but it may change… so the boat has to at least get me through that day…

but it is more of a flat water boat than the Tempest, which is a very capable rough water boat. As Paul points out, many folks start with a reassuring boat and then end up upgrading. You’ll have to decide for yourself on the “target” and then see which feels best when you demo. At your size, the correct Tempest will be the 165, not the 170.

OK, 165, fine… than you. And again, I get the feeling I will have to try these boats a bit more before deciding.

Both are great boats, so you’re fine not looking outside Wildy.

er… 205 lbs… :slight_smile:
Yes, a little porky :)… I am planning to go down 180 by next spring. I would like to lose more but I am being realistic. 180 is reachable.

I will also state for the record, I am over 55 years old… yes I know, very young :)… so that is why I don’t feel like conquering the Everest or anything like that :slight_smile: