Turning

i dunno
greyak that’s pretty heady, saying nigel foster is wrong.

Me ok, I’m wrong all the time. But Nigel Foster’s been doing this a lot longer than you. He’s a pretty good instructor. I’m not going to take anything away from flatpick, as a paddler or a designer, because he actually hasn’t posted what his approach is, kudzu posted it.

Frankly at this point I forgot why I care if you or anyone else can go effectively in a circle or not.

Disagree
It does matter where you apply the force if there’s water moving under the hull. If you’re trying to correct a too-wide ferry angle, a stern draw is much more effective than trying to sweep the bow upstream. They’re the opposite ends of the same stroke - a 180-degree sweep - but the dynamic effect is very different.

Draws and rudders
much more so than with sweep. More precise actions.

“Wrong” too strong
Sure Nigel’s a FAR more advance waterman than I - For that matter, so are you Kwikle! Still, his name or his words aren’t what turn the kayak.

Are you throwing more body action in in the latter portion of the sweep to give it more of a kick?

Do what feels right and works for you. As long as your boat turns it’s all good.

Video
Thanks for the reminder. I was just about to order the DVD version. I really enjoyed taking Wayne’s class last year, and would readily recommend it to anyone.

Chuck

lean
To turn in flatwater you j-lean the opposite of a bike. Without a skirt you would have water in the boat but your body is leaning the opposite to keep center of grav equal. So to turn left, the boat is tilted to the right while your weight is shifted left to stabilize the boat. In whitewater you lean downstream. And wear a helmet.

what derek
teaches in that video is fine, but realize that all of that stuff is focused on carving turns to the inside with your body supported by the paddle. It is comfortable and very reassuring, but it is only one way to do things.