Two different Q-boat hull designs?

-- Last Updated: May-05-07 4:33 PM EST --

The Valley Q keeps haunting me. Think I may have to scratch that itch after all. In looking around the 'net, I find what appear to me to be two slightly different hull designs. The older (2005?) hull seems to have a lower foredeck, such that the front hatch is not depressed, and the cockpit rim sits slightly proud. See link below. Admittedly, however, I've only fondled the latest design. Am I correct, or is this a photographic illusion? Anyone?

http://www.shearwaterkayaks.com/models/quarajaq.html

Not to be picky, but…
What does the foredeck layout and height have to do with the hull? Might affect how the boat fits you and thus how it works for you, but doubt it affects how the boat works in the water otherwise. I also doubt the hull has changed, but who knows. Some say the hull of the Anas Acuta changed over time.

My only real comment is test the Q boat thoroughly and not just in quiet water. It is not everyones cup of tea by a long, long shot. Never heard anyone neutral about the boat. Love or hate.

the Q fascinates me

– Last Updated: May-06-07 2:37 AM EST –

I've paddled the likes of the QCC700, the Eggemoggin, Jubilee, AHPRo etc. for so long I was in the mindset that all kayaks of this length are an effort to turn (effort being either leaning and sweeping and doing so several times depending on how much of a turn you desire)-in the Q you can do a hard sweep one time and with moderate lean you can turn almost as long as you maintain the lean...BUT and this is interesting, you will keep turning even after terminating the lean, so to go straight again you will either sweep on the opposite side to counter or shift your hips/knee lift to counter.
I've decided that the Q is skeg dependent straight tracking without any corrections in any wind of significance....this after comparing with the Eggemoggin two days ago which requires no skeg for straight tracking even in moderate wind.....

medicineman…

– Last Updated: May-06-07 12:18 PM EST –

Your weight? And, regarding the tracking issue, is this condition independent of load?

Regarding the continuation of a turn…
I’ve noted this in many boats, and attributed it to inertia/momentum. Both my Chatham 17 and 18 exhibit this trait, and I’d always considered it as “normal”.

Noticed some in the LV
Like an aircraft if you return controls back to neutral after a bank, the plane will continue to turn until you stop it.

My experience also
you will keep turning even after terminating the lean, so to go straight again you will either sweep on the opposite side to counter or shift your hips/knee lift to counter.

I have paddled a few kayaks that have similar characteristics and I agree that these kayaks are skeg or rudder dependent. A kayak that handles like this is nothing I care to spend any time in. Paddling a kayak that responds to your paddle strokes is so much more rewarding and let’s you develop better skills. I find it amazing that a manufacturer would produce a kayak with these traits.

Valley Q Boat
I just retrun from playing in 20-25 knot easterly wind in waves 4-6 feet paddling my Q-boat. for people unacustomed to the hard chines and unique charteristics of the boat the use of a skeg is possibly necessary. However, much like its smaller cousing the Anas it is a lively boat the comes to life in high wind and sea states. I believe the earlier statement of you’ll either love it or hate it are accurate. But then as one’s skill progresses they probably want a more responsive and challenging boat to paddle.

good discussion

– Last Updated: May-06-07 10:54 PM EST –

my experience is that the turning characteristics are independent of load and occurs in the Q with only minimal gear or loaded for camping (i weigh 189-190)....the beauty of the Q--if you have the skills is a kayak that can spin circles around any other kayak in this length category, playful is an understatement...in the right hands the Q can dance. If I were a guide or coach and wanted a kayak that I could place anywhere in the water when needed for assistance or rescue AND I wanted a boat that has speed AND I wanted a boat that can achieve all the greenland rolls AND I wanted a boat with more load capacity for camping I would not hesitate to consider the Q again.
One thing to consider though is how much skeg? I've found that in mild-moderate winds a wee bit, say an inch deployed is quite enough...full depth when the winds are over 12-15