Two girls and a Pelican.

I was waiting for a friend who was shopping in Academy Sporting Goods and noticed the girls thoroughly looking over a Tandem Pelican.
I could tell they were getting serious and I was really tempted to give them a quick opinion on barge like pool toys. But, I didn’t.

They bought it and proceeded to tie it to a slick roofed Buick. They had it set on a minicell rack. They ran cam straps through the windows and tightened them. Then they tied lines for and aft.

By then we were leaving so I stopped by and suggested a 2 point tie down for the bow.
I knew they were probably headed for the interstate and had a vision of a bow wave from a semi blowing the boat off the roof.
I think people are capable of making their own decisions but I had a kayak blow off my roof that was secured like that.

You did the right thing. These days you never know who is going to accept and be grateful for unsolicited advice, but the ladies usually are gracious about it. Hopefully, people will realize we’re not looking for gratitude–just hoping to save them from a bad experience.

I’ve been trying harder to be more discriminating, or at least ask a few questions before offering advice. A few days ago, I paddled up to a lady and said, hi and some small talk. Then I asked her if she knew her paddle was upside down. She quickly rolled it so it was backward and smiled about her quick solution. Well I thought it wouldn’t be too bold to ask if she had had any paddling instruction. “Oh yeah; my friend whose kayak this is taught me.” I proceeded with a quick and polite little refresher and she seemed to take it well, but then I went on my way as she advised me that she was fine and waiting for her friend to show up.

i wish when I was learning that someone with lots of miles on them had come along.

Good on you for doing that, string.

I like to think I would have nicely asked if they owned life jackets and if not, maybe offer to help fit them.

I’d have seen it, thought about approaching them, then walked away shaking my head and muttering to myself.

I’ve been in this situation too often and if there’s a personality trait that allows you to give this kind of unsolicited advice without the person having a negative response I certainly do not possess it.

Here’s my idea of a good Pelican (on a) kayak.

Walked up to me while I was having breakfast in the Ten Thousand Islands, Fl a few years ago.

Great photos guys !

@Doug Gilliland said:
Here’s my idea of a good Pelican (on a) kayak.

Walked up to me while I was having breakfast in the Ten Thousand Islands, Fl a few years ago.

Mr Brown, you look so Sirius.
Well Java Joe, I must be delirious,
perching this yak, as eyes we do match.
Would you poor me a cup, there’s plans here to hatch.

Recently I went to a Swift demo day and a young couple was looking for a canoe for themselves and their two dogs. I saw them on the water in a Prospector 15 and said “you might want to try the 16”. The woman asked why and I said the 15 is a bit sluggish. My buddy inherited one and we just hated that boat because it was really slow and also didn’t turn well. Later I saw them loading their new 15 Prospector and I felt bad for having said anything negative about it.

In my view Russ is over the top around the term “girls” but the other words being used in a public forum are not funny.

PS- The Pelican Unison 136T tandem has a 4 1/2 star rating at . . . Paddling.com. So maybe these were not clueless woman buying a pool toy but intelligent consumers who did their due diligence to find a suitable boat for their needs.

Wow! This conversation got way off track. I deleted all the comments that didn’t have anything to do with paddling. Let’s stay on topic people. If you have a concern about someone’s post, send them a private message.

@RussSeese said:
PS- The Pelican Unison 136T tandem has a 4 1/2 star rating at . . . Paddling.com. So maybe these were not clueless woman buying a pool toy but intelligent consumers who did their due diligence to find a suitable boat for their needs.

look at the ratings of most boats. 5 stars for many box store poorly designed overweight rec boats. First purchase for many boys and girls, who are just exuberant about getting out on the water. Not knocking the ratings, 'as mole (or fox or worm, can’t quite recall) said “there’s nothing quite like messing about in boats”, but I would take those ratings with a grain of salt, or a dollop of cl. 3 ww…then again, for most, I’d be sticking to a pond or slow moving flatwater.

I started my paddling life in a canoe. I then moved on to a 10 Patriot rec yak, which I added flotation to. I learned to re-enter it when it capsized. I deliberately capsized it on the Chesapeake Bay on the way to the South River lighthouse because I was hot. I did 20+ mile round trips from my house to the Naval Academy. I have since moved on to other boats, but I still use the rec yak to paddle with others and to teach them basic paddling skills. So much easier to do in the type of boat they are using. Talking to people about paddling without judging them poorly for using the boats most of us started in leads to a much better relationship, one that allows both sides to learn and grow.

@brian said:
Wow! This conversation got way off track. I deleted all the comments that didn’t have anything to do with paddling. Let’s stay on topic people. If you have a concern about someone’s post, send them a private message.

THANK YOU FOR STEPPING IN BRIAN!

@brian said:

Thank you!

@RussSeese said:
I started my paddling life in a canoe. I then moved on to a 10 Patriot rec yak, which I added flotation to. I learned to re-enter it when it capsized. I deliberately capsized it on the Chesapeake Bay on the way to the South River lighthouse because I was hot. I did 20+ mile round trips from my house to the Naval Academy. I have since moved on to other boats, but I still use the rec yak to paddle with others and to teach them basic paddling skills. So much easier to do in the type of boat they are using. Talking to people about paddling without judging them poorly for using the boats most of us started in leads to a much better relationship, one that allows both sides to learn and grow.

I start beginners in my rec boats, with me in attendance on flat water. Doing so with my daughter’s MIL tomorrow.