tying on J-racks

I read the instructions for using J racks in the thread about roof racks and ratchet straps. They suggest tying directly to the roof rack after tightening down the kayak. I always looped directly around the lower lip of the J rack, then tied the end to the roof rack using alternating 1/2 hitches. Been doing this for 12+ years with lots of road time at too high speeds, but am never too old to learn.

How do p-netters who use J racks tie down, once the kayak is snugged in the racks? What’s the advantage, if any, of going directly to the roof rack?

Thanks,

Lyn

Security
I suppose that in the unlikely event of a failure of the J-cradle clamps, the kayak would still be secured to the rack instead of flying off with the cradles still attached.

understood
I’m asking whether there’s any reason or benefit to tying to the rack first and bypassing the tie down to the lower lip of the jrack.

narrow up the straps
Depending on which kayak I am loading up, and how the boat fits in the J rack decides if I use the lower loop of the rack.

On my Stinger the boat is wider and rolls in the j rack, so I use the upper and lower loop in the rack to stabilize the boat, the stinger does not have a conventional bulk head so I make sure not to over tighten the straps and possibly cause heat distortion on a long trip.

On my touring boats that fit better in the J racks I loop the strap around the cross bar over and around the boat, and loop around the crossbar again.

Using the crossbar instead of the lower loop allows you to make the straps better suit the actual shape of the boat, and allow for catastrophic failure of the J rack.