Type of foam used for cartopping?...

I want to make some custom blocks that I can use to carry my canoe on my kayak trailer. I did a search on the internet but I cannot find any information on what type of foam is used in the foam canoe block kits.

If anybody knows what I can use, and where I could buy some 20" x 8" x 8" foam online. I need to be able to cut and sand them into a curved shape. Thanks

-Dave

Minicell
Hi Dave,

It’s called minicell foam. Various suppliers. Largest sections mfg. that I’ve found have been in a 4" thickness. You’ll probably need to glue two together to get to the 8" thickness you describe.

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

minicell…
I realize that minicell would be the perfect thing to use, but I was hoping to spend less money. I was hoping someone could suggest a cheaper alternative.

White closed cell used as packing
usually on electronics, it’s not as dense as the gray minicell but will last quite awhile. The two blocks used to pack a CPU make ideal cradles to set a boat on the floor. You can glue up your own designs using contact cement.

Good luck

Randy

Ethafoam
Try googling Ethafoam. More plasticy (sp?) with larger bubble matrix. Quite dense and resiliant. Should be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com