upgrade from Perception Acadia?

I’ve been using my Perception Acadia now for > 10 years. It’s a very good general purpose kayak … fishing, lakes, slow rivers, etc. It’s only 12.5 ft long so not bad for maneuvering streams.

However, now I want to take the next step up to something better for larger lakes, maybe even some ocean. Would love some suggestions. I am 5’-11", 190lb … intermediate kayaker.

Thx.

Rob

Lots of info

– Last Updated: Aug-08-16 12:56 PM EST –

in the gear guide and reviews sections.

Just about anything
Seriously, the universe of boats that would be better suited for big lakes and maybe ocean over the Acadia is huge. And you are close on to the average paddler size, so you have more than anyone who needs a small or very large paddler’s boat.

There is some summer left. Can you get someplace to demo boats, maybe even pay someone for an hour of pointers, before trying to sort this out via the computer while the snow blows up to the windows?

Thanks

– Last Updated: Aug-09-16 1:11 AM EST –

Thanks anyway

Here’s a starting list.
Current Designs Prana, Current Desigbs Caribou, Current Designs Cypress, Current Designs Gulfstream, or Sirocco, P&H Cetus, Valley Nordcapp, Valley Etain, Stellar Intrepid, Eddyline Raven. If you really want to step up–NC Expedition, or an NC 17 footer.

Likely the q6 ft boats will work too
Thus at least doubling the above list. And Wilderness Systems boats (that can be found used and cheap) too.

Enjoy the journey!
An Acadia was my first boat.Followed by many kayaks and canoes.

Good ideas

– Last Updated: Aug-09-16 1:27 PM EST –

Thanks.
I have a cedar strip kayak build underway right now ... Redfish Spring Run. It will be roughly 16'7" long.

Realistically, it will be a year or two to finish it, with all the stuff on my plate.
In the meantime I am thinking something in the 14' to 15'6" length would be nice. I want to keep weight down so not to kill my back.
Also, want more glide and speed than my tubby Acadia.

model to watch for
P & H no longer makes the Venture Easky 15 for the US market but used ones come up fairly regularly, depending on where you live. It’s a versatile boat and lighter than most plastic touring kayaks in its class. I have the low volume version, the LV. and it is only 46 lbs. My ex boyfriend (about your size) had the standard Easky and it was 49 lbs. Used ones usually run from $500 to $700. I can easily keep pace with people in longer touring kayaks in it and have even used it in class 1 and 2 open whitewater. Very fun kayak.

replace the Acadia
I want something that can do rivers, lakes as well as the bay. so, I think 16’ max would be good for me. I don’t need a long cruiser.

I found a local shop in Newbury, Ma that carries a good selection. I hope to visit and maybe demo some yaks over the next 2 weeks.

16 ft is fine
I rarely use my 17 ft boat any more, thinking of selling it. Unless you are really expeditioning you don’t need it. For storage, note that many so-called 16 ft boats are actually 16 ft and a few inches.

Visited local kayak shop
and checked out some nice boats. A Vision 150 was very nice and the cockpit fit was nice. My weekends are shot for the next 3 weeks so, I won’t be able to do anything for awhile. Maybe some end of season sales will come up.

Go for the features
Overall now is a much better time to get a shorter, but fully featured, boat than some years ago. The short real sea kayaks like the Dagger Alchemy really shook up the market in a good way. That is two bulkheads, maybe a day hatch but I forget, good cockpit fit with thigh braces and full perimeter rigging.

When you get to the fun stuff, at least what I think is fun, self-rescues and assisted rescues and getting comfy being over into the water for a brace, it is the features and cockpit fit that you will appreciate. Length, aside from being long and tracky enough to keep up with anyone you want to paddle with, is much less of a factor.

I am laid up from foot surgery right now so the gains I got over the time in Maine are what I have until it is dry suit time in the shallower ponds around home. But had I not chosen this time to get that surgery done, I would have spent the last heat wave taking out my shorter sea kayak to a local pond that is officially no swimming. But it is regularly used by locals for friends teaching friends to roll and other skills. I could officially say I was working on my kayaking stuff. But at temperatures over 90 degrees (which are very hard for me to take), I would have been focusing on my weakest skills to maximize the swimming time.

Basically looking to replace
my Acadia as my day-to-day, general use kayak.

Given that, I think 14-15’ range would be a nice fit … easy to take out, store, and good for small water as well as serviceable for light seacoast paddling.

My cedar strip Spring Run will be just under 17’ and light. They should complement each other well.

Today I am running up to Mont-Tremblant, Quebec for the weekend with the kayak. My wife is doing the full Ironman race up there while I will be volunteering on the swim course, with my kayak, to aid the swimmers.

For seacoast you want the features
Being out there without them, it is just a matter of time until your luck runs out and you need them. My husband and I had the opportunity to find this out…

By features
What specifically do you mean?