Upgrade Kayak Time

So I think it is time to upgrade my yak. I currently have a WS Pamlico 145T that I use on slow rivers, maybe class 1 or 2 rapids. This works great for when the wife and I go out and it was a good starter kayak.

Well, I went on a 3 day trip with some single yaks and I had a hard time keeping up with everyone.

I have been itching for a single yak, as the wife hardly comes with me anymore. I am looking at touring yaks and have spent some time on the review section here, but mostly every review has good and bad.

I think I like the hurricane Tracer 165, but wanted to get suggestions from everyone on what they prefer as the next step up boat.

I am 6’1, 185lbs. I mostly want to paddle day trips with 1 or 2, 3 day trips a year (hauling gear) on rivers with mostly class 1 rapids. I want something that will be fast, track well and not get damaged by coming up on a rocky shore.

What do you guys think?

Tracer
I’ve paddled it and I really like it too. I’m 220 and 5’10" and it may the most comfortable sit inside I have ever tried.

Hurricane makes nice boats
I think their long boat is a little heavy, but maybe not as bad as your tandem. There are long boats in the 50 lb rage that are well suited for you. I think the Tsunamis are close to that and a couple of the longer ones will fit you fine.

If heavy doesn’t nother you also take a look at the Eclipse by perception. You can often find used ones cheap.

jim

If you can give away a little speed,
consider the Liquid Logic Remix XP10. There are a lot of easy whitewater runs not far from you and the XP10 will support your development in the whitewater direction while retaining rec kayak cruising and gear hauling capability.

Thanks
Thanks for the advise everyone. It is hard to make that 1600-2000 dollar purchase for the upgraded kayak…

HDXLPE Kayaks

– Last Updated: May-14-10 11:02 AM EST –

Most plastic whitewater boats are made either of
ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadien Styrene),
HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene),
HDXLPE (High-Density Crosslinked Polyethylene).

A "plastic" boat is lot more forgiving when banged against rocks

Dagger - Catalyst or Alchemy

Current Design - Vision 150 or Storm GT

Go Narrow
Whatever you do try to stay as narrow as you can find…22" wide on 16’length is a perfect fit for your size and weight. You will love blowing by wider yaks with less effort…you will adjust quickly to the stability factor. You will not look back at a wide yak after paddling a skinny one.