upriver canoe

getting back up river to the launch …

– Last Updated: Jul-27-10 12:21 AM EST –

...... that's about what you have to do for the scenario you posted .

That means you have to paddle against the current all the way going up river , no surprise of course . Like going up a hill , you'll get to top when you get there . Some stretches in the climb will have steeper slopes , same in the river , some stretches will have faster currents to go against . Some faster currents you can escape to slower ones . Sometimes you can't get back up through what you've gone down through , it's too fast a current ... you may have to get out and line your canoe up current for awhile .

A little lighter and sleeker hull design will cover the required distance a bit quicker , but it seems to me you still will be paddling against the current with the same amount of effort applied to each paddle stroke regardless of which canoe (that's what I think) . With the sleeker faster canoe , you just won't have to exert this "same required amount of effort on each paddle stroke" , for as long a period of time .

We have two canoes of almost equal length . I paddle each with the same amount of effort per stroke , in the same waters up river against current , or down river , or on flat water lakes . One is not any easier to paddle than the other , but one will cover a bit more distance in the same amount of time .

The heavier you load the canoe , as in people , children , gear , etc. ... the more weight you have to move with the paddle . The heavier the load , the slower it goes , especially up river .

You want to make this loaded up river task as easy as possible . The only way I know to do that is only apply the amount paddle pressure in each stroke that you're comfortable with , and at a pace that's comfortable for you . Of course there is the minimum pressure and pace that's manditory to meet the current speed (that will hold you still in the current) ... beyond that it's what you are comfortable with to make forward progress .

You know , you can paddle up river against the current all day long ... go as far as you have time to go , as far as you can get in that time , or simply as far you feel like going . In order to do this you need to paddle at the pressure and pace that's comfortable to you , and not constantly be exhuasting yourself (as if you were trying to race up the river) .

Paddle harder and paddle faster , and it's more work ... paddle slower and lighter and it's less work . Going up a hill you can walk slow in short steps , you can walk in large steps , you can walk faster , or you can run . At some point of energy exertion you become uncomfortable and tire quickly not being able to maintain your pace and end up slowing down again or stopping to recover .

I just don't subscibe to the theory that one canoe is "easier" to paddle effort/energy wise than another canoe . A heavier loaded canoe will go slower for the same amount of energy applied than a lighter loaded canoe . A sleeker hull design will go faster than a less aquadynamic design for the same amount of energy applied ... and that's what I see it boiling down to .

You are the engine , you only have X amount of power to exert (or a range of power to exert at your will) . This is the amount of energy "you will" exert on each stroke , regardless of canoe or load . If you are a smaller 4 cylinder , you are not as powerful as a large V8 . Both engines will move the load , be it up hill or level ground .

In summary , there are two things you can do as I see it ... (1) get a sleeker canoe and (2) lighten the load . Both will make the trip up river faster . Both will make the trip across any distance on any waters , in any direction faster ... niether will make the amount of energy per stroke easier , only that you will be paddling for less time to cover the same amount of distance . I suppose that "paddling" for less time could be considered easier , than paddling for a longer period of time , if that's the kind of easier you are wanting .

If "paddling" for less time is what you want , if greater distance for energy appied is what you want , then those are the two choices as I see it .

I really never concern with how long it takes to get from A to B ... I just arrive or return when I get there . If I want to go further , I stay longer (which is a good thing) .

I guess I am very unconventional in my feelings about canoeing , because in my mind one canoe is as good and as pleasurable as the next . One is not in any way better or worse than the other when it comes to the amount of effort and energy required to make it move forward , they all are the same . Some go faster but I paddle with the same applied energy regardless which canoe .

A particular type of canoe is better for a particular type of water condition and load than another (better in the sense of manuverabilty and safety) , that I will agree with .

ps., ... a less flexy hull like Royalex or composite layup will give you more efficiency (speed) per stroke also I beleive , as compared to a flexier hull that may oil can on bottom .

On further reflection…
it was getting to be about midnight when we got back to the van, and I was very worried about babysitters. The problem is that my husband will always make just one more cast…so getting back quicker is better. But it is true that the reason we found it so frustrating was time pressure to get back on time, so we were trying to “race” as you say. We hadn’t realized just how strong the current was in some places until we tried to go back up!

time spent on the water out paddling …

– Last Updated: Jul-27-10 1:20 AM EST –

...... and doing all the other things we do while in the canoe such as fishing , site seeing , lazing around , shore stops and walks , afternoon seistas , picknicking , camping , photo taking , even getting out of the canoe and playing in the water (which the kids love by the way) ... you name it , it's all part of the journey .

My advise ... do as much as you can for as long as you have time to do it in ... in time , you will get a better feel for how far you go , how much other stuff you can do (besides constant paddling) and it will all go smoothly , no stress , no worries .

Example ... next time you repeat this same down river trip , either allow more time if you can (start earlier ??) , or stay at the other end for less time ... it's all good ... ask the baby sitter to stay the night if she can so you have no time constraints about getting back home ... stay out longer without worrying about it .

If the return trip up river takes about all you've got left for that day energy wise ... don't make it such a long day , start the return sooner . Another very important thing that does wonders energy wise , is to take plenty of enrgy snacks and liquids along with you (and eat/drink them on a regular basis during the day) ... small snacks at more regular intervals , very important to maintain energy because paddling uses up bunches of energy even if you are going leisurely all day .

Lighter weight paddles (to a certain extent) make it better too !!

Oh , and one more thing ... the more you do this paddling around , the more endurance and paddle strength you will aquire . This will happen very naturally , almost impercievably you will find paddling against the currents easier to do .

All true! Thanks.