USCG Required Safety Equipment

I was recently told that the US Coast Guard requires kayakers to have a flashlight as part of their standard safety equipment. I can see where this might be required (or recommended) when doing night or coastal paddling but not day trips on rivers. Anyone know anything on this. Thanks, Ted

PFD on or in the boat and suitable
horn, whistle or other signaling device

Strobe emergency on the top rear of your PFD is recommended.

Jack L

The light is required for night
Here’s what I got from the Coast Guard after I asked for clarification. These were cut and pasted from two messages. I’m not sure if the requirements differ for coastal vs inland waterways. I’d suggest you contact your local CG office they are usually very willing to help.

SYOTW

Randy

Good afternoon Mr. Morgart

My name is LTJG Colin Fogarty, I am one of the Response Officers at Coast Guard Sector Upper Mississippi River. I have the answers to your questions regarding the use of manually propelled vessels (kayaks) on inland navigable waterways (the Mississippi & Missouri Rivers). I’ll give you exactly what the law & policy provide, then I will give you a abridged version of what will be required of the members of your club while they are paddling.

Visual Distress Signals (VDS):

As per 33 CFR 175, vessels which are “manually propelled” (e.g. kayaks) and operating on navigable waterways (e.g. Missouri River/ Mississippi) are exempt from carrying VDS, EXCEPT between sunset and sunrise. In the instances where a manually propelled vessel is underway in an a navigable waterway at night (i.e. between sunset and sunrise) “One electric distress light” (e.g. a strobe light) is required.

Sound Producing Device (SPD):

As per COLREGS Rule 33 and 33 USC 2033 A vessel less than 12 meters (39 ft 4 in) in length is not required to have a “fog horn” however it must have a device with some other means of making an efficient sound signal.

Whenever your Kayaks are on the Mississippi/Missouri River during the day you will be required to have A SPD, the whistles you require at this point are sufficient. When you operate during the day, you are not required flares or any other VDS, however, while operating at night you are required to have some form of distress light. A bright light or a strobe light would meet these requirements. Of course, I would recommend that at least some vessels have additional means of both distress signals and sound signals in the case of a larger unexpected emergency. My mantra is: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Additionally, I wanted to follow up with the my response, as I feel I wasn’t crystal clear regarding the definition of an “electric distress light.” The exact definition as per 46 CFR 160.013-3 is: a white light, capable of manual signaling (i.e. it can turn on & off), battery operated, ability to float, and be waterproof.

Considering the fact you & your associates are avid paddlers I’m sure you have equipment that already meets or even exceeds those specifications, but I wanted to ensure I gave you the best answer possible. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you & have a good Coast Guard day.

Very respectfully,

LTJG C. M. Fogarty

USGC Safety Requirements
Thanks for your reply, it confirms my gut feeling on the issue. Ted

VDS …
… floats and is waterproof .

A light that gets dropped overboard or gets wet won’t be much good afterwards if those two keys features , floats and waterptoof aren’t there .

Requirquipmented e
It is not necessary to carry a light unless you are to be out at night. A white light (could be a flashlight) that can be shown in the direction of an oncoming vessel is all that is required. Some choose to use portable battery powered red/green/white lights to emulate a small power boat, but it is not required.

Do not use a strobe light as a running light, since any strobe is a distress signal. It’s OK to carry one, but is used only to signal an emergency. _

Requirquipmented e
It is not necessary to carry a light unless you are to be out at night. A white light (could be a flashlight) that can be shown in the direction of an oncoming vessel is all that is required. Some choose to use portable battery powered red/green/white lights to emulate a small power boat, but it is not required.

Do not use a strobe light as a running light, since any strobe is a distress signal. It’s OK to carry one, but is used only to signal an emergency. _

Good idea to know the rules in areas
where you may encounter the USCG. But having paddled here and there since '73, I just never have run into the Coast Guard. Even the DNR officers haven’t bothered me about equipment as long as they see my PFD.

USCG Required Safety Equipment
It is required for night paddling, no need to have one during the day, unless your paddles may lead you into evening paddles. Would the CG bust you for not having in the day? …highly unlikely.