Don’t give me that crap.
Enjoy a few belts like the next guy,
but I’m not too fond of the strap.

Winds gonna rock those cradles.
Semis sonic buffet the racks.
But I’m the Don of Knots.
My Hully Gully ain’t dancin’ off track.

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago, a Cleveland TV news station did an investigative report about unsecured loads falling off of vehicles. They pointed out that the fine for having something fly off a car or truck is currently less than the fine for littering (in Ohio).

“Motorcyclist hit by Canoe”
WTF was he doing in the river?

2 Likes

I am extra paranoid with securing any loads. Always have been and always go the extra distance in securing them.
I built a rack for the top of my canopy that has straps around my boats, plus I use a bow and stern line. The bow and stern lines don’t do much but it’s a backup, plus it lets me see if there is any movement over my head.

1 Like

Wow, I was just at that intersection (it’s the exit to get to the Southwest PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous that we enjoyed this past weekend). The 40 plus mile shoreline of Lake Arthur at that exit is the mecca for tupperware boaters in this area and I see plenty of dicey load arrangements en route every time I go up there. In fact those stretches of I-79 (70 mph) and 422 are mainly where I developed the habit of dropping waaay back whenever I spot a fruit salad of boats teetering on a vehicle ahead of me. There were a lot of them last week.

Glad the rider survived and hope the injuries are recoverable. As a former cyclist tales like that creep me out. Worst I had almost hit me on my old Honda 350/4 was a 10’ piece of PVC drainpipe that blew off a truck but hit the pavement in time that I knew which way to swerve to avoid it (and that bike was nimble even in a panic move, probably having clip-on bars and riding low saved me from road rash as much as anything). But I was road-shy for months after that close call.

Nothing like a sedan ahead stacked with bungee’d rec boats riding on pool noodles to get your pulse quickened.

1 Like