Used boat pricing

-- Last Updated: Apr-15-04 11:27 AM EST --

I've told my oldest son that I'll get him a kayak this summer. I've been looking at boats that are kind of borderline between rec boats and "real" touring boats. In particular, the Necky Manitou, a Pungo 140, and the longer Dagger Blackwaters. I figured I'd buy him a used one. So, I got to looking over the classified adds on this site, and I was kind of surprised about the prices. For instance, there are several Blackwaters right around the $500 range. I can go to the local outfitter and buy a new one for somewhere around $650.

I've got a pretty good feel for used pricing on higher end boats, but it seems the same rules of thumb may not apply to the rec boats. Can you good folks shed any insight on what I might expect to pay for a used rec boat? I'm assuming relatively recent model, in pretty good condition. I was hoping to see 50% to 60% of new pricing - am I way off?

Thanks.

It may be like buying a used car
The asking price is high, but what the seller really wants is low. Place a wanted ad. You may end up with a really decent deal.

Nope. 1/2 is fair,
unless the boat has been abused. If it was a year old, used a half dozen times, yadda-yadda, and in pristine condition, I could see a little more than half as fair. Obvious abuse or neglect (eg: ground-in dirt, deep gouges, mean oil-canning, sun fading, etc.) would make me offer much less than 1/2 if I was still interested. I’m actually going through this right now on a Capella that needs some TLC. Remember that something is only worth what others are willing to pay for it, not the owner.

Jim

A bit off-topic,
but I thought you might like to know that Adventure Kayak magazine recently did a review article of 6 kayaks that claim to bridge the rec boat-touring boat gap, which is what you sound like you’re interested in. I remember that two of the boats reviewed are the Necky Manitou and the CD Kestrel, both of which got good reviews. Unfortunately, those are both new models, so you won’t find any new ones. But you might check out the article to see if any existing models were reviewed.

Of course the best test is to actually paddle the boats you and your son are interested in, but in kayaking as in other matters, knowledge is power.

Have fun shopping!

It depends…
With a higher end boat in good condition I would expect to pay 3/4 of full. If it goes for 1200 I would expect to pay 800. A rec boat there are a lot more out there and you can pay less. Keep looking and you will get the feel once you put in some bids. Either they take it or not.

Remember, don’t buy a boat just because it is a good deal.

Good luck

Mick

I was surprised also
I spent a few hundred more and got a 3 year warranty on a new one. I am told that real deals are out there. I did actually find one good deal, but it wasn’t the boat I wanted.

Good Luck…Lou

Right boat?
When you look at a cross between a rec boat and a touring boat, you often wind up with a fat touring boat. That’s often NOT the best choice for a child (shorter than 5’), where the width makes it hard for them to paddle the way an adult would. If your son is in this category (you didn’t say), think about touring boats designed for youngsters - the WS Piccolo or the new Perception Carolina 12’. The downside is that these boats hold their value pretty well, since a youngster uses them for a year or two and then they’re sold to another family.

Rental Fleets
I bought my Loon 138 from a Rental Company on Cape Cod. I paid 60% afer 3 months of service. I had to wait until September to pick it up but there may be some out there still. On the other hand, a local outfitter is selling a brand new Cape Lookout 145 for $700, that’s 70% of full retail. Not sure where you are but keep looking. The deals are out there.

The most importan thing is
physical abuse including UV exposure. Store ap plascti boat outside for 10 years in full sun for ten years and I would not pay you much for it. Store a Skegless first production year CD caribou inside a garage for 10 years you have a collectors item. (Rumor has it that boat was different)

Plastic boats age faster that glass boats in the sun.

Used rec boats tenc to be cheap bacause in a lot of folks minds you are competeing whith what can be bought at some cheap store.

Your mileage may vary.

Pungo?
The Pungo line is strickly rec. It’s fine for small lakes and rivers to just play or float along in, but not for touring on open water like the great lakes or what have you. Way to wide and slow for touring. The previous suggestions give you some good direction. I’d look at the Looksha sport as well, or something similar if you’ll be paddling on big water.

used boat prices
don’t forget to calculate shipping,a yak from another area can get pricy due to that extra cost, so new is sometimes better

I think the used prices…
…tend to speak volumes about how much of a deal certain models are new. Overpriced boats drop faster, etc. Same with gear. But in the end its supply/demand.

kayak buying
how much is a sun guide(new) worth???

tim