Used Composite Valley Avocet-Sold

I have a used Avocet, last 3 serial #'s 900, in which I need to sell. I had back surgery and now shoulder surgery, long story, years of outdoor activities and ice climbing. The kayak has been covered, outside, Michigan. It needs new hatch covers but the hull is in good to great shape…has Rapid Pulse backstrap in the cockpit, Nexus 70P compass, personal tow cleats and Henderson deck pump. Does anyone have any idea of a fair listing price I should be asking for this item? I would be selling it with a neoprene spray skirt, Lendel paddle and tow rig. If you have any idea of what I should ask for this item or further questions, please respond. Thanks

What’'s a " tow rig"?

If it’s a newer tow rig in top running condition, oh, about $42,000 for the package.

What is a backstrap? A recovery strap, aka a snatch strap?

For comparison purposes, just came across a used Valley Pintail for $1,000 (Michigan listing). No details about boat age given but it did have all the hatch covers.

@pikabike said:
What is a backstrap? A recovery strap, aka a snatch strap?

I googled “Rapid Pulse backstrap” and it looks like this is a back band.

@alptraveler said:
I have a used Avocet, last 3 serial #'s 900, in which I need to sell. I had back surgery and now shoulder surgery, long story, years of outdoor activities and ice climbing. The kayak has been covered, outside, Michigan. It needs new hatch covers but the hull is in good to great shape…has Rapid Pulse backstrap in the cockpit, Nexus 70P compass, personal tow cleats and Henderson deck pump. Does anyone have any idea of a fair listing price I should be asking for this item? I would be selling it with a neoprene spray skirt, Lendel paddle and tow rig. If you have any idea of what I should ask for this item or further questions, please respond. Thanks

The boat is the main driver of the price. Usually you get 1/3 to 2/3 of new price, with the range varying due to condition, age, etc. Sounds like the hull is in good shape, which moves you toward the top. But the hatch covers needing to be replaced will cost the new owner some $250 to do, so that takes away (note - rotting hatch covers are a common issue with Valley boats). If skeg doesn’t work (which is common), that would be a negative.

Paddle, pump, tow line, etc all are minor adjustments (paddle the largest adjuster - maybe add $100 if it is a good paddle.

Which composite is it? Fiberglass? One of the lighter, but more expensive, ones? Colors?

Right now, my gut is that you should get at least $1000. I doubt you would get $2000.

Of course, the size of your market affects it. If you have trouble finding a buyer, that would lower the price. But if potential buyers don;t have other options for boats like this (limited local dealers or the like), then that would help you.

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. My initial thought was $1,000 also. Composite= red fiberglass, Skeg=works perfect, Rapid Pulse back strap is indeed the back strap, an updated version of stock version, the paddle=Lendel Archipelago feathered straight shaft and the tow system= personal tow system complete with fairlead and cam cleat with fairlead mounted on the deck. Yes, I am aware of Valley hatches dry rotting, I sold my Nordkapp HM before I knew I was having shoulder surgery and was hoping to get more kayak time with the Avocet. The kayak is in good shape, just the paddler is in bad shape and the repetitive motion in the Great Lakes with winds and waves can not continue. The new owner will need/want to replace both hatches, approx $120 value from Rutabaga or Duck Works, I am sure that will offset the extra equipment on the boat.

Too bad about your injuries. I sold a similar boat a few years ago, a Valley Nordkapp lv. It was in great shape with some minor cosmetic scrapes on the hull. I replaced 1bad hatch cover before listing it. At the time, it was 4 years old. I listed it for $2100 and sold it for $1900. The thing with composite kayaks, you kinda have to wait for the right buyer to show up. The guy who bought mine drove several hundred miles to get it. It took a while to sell. I would guess $1000 is the rock bottom price for that entire package. In fact, at a $1000 it sounds like a great deal on the boat and everything else is free. I wish I needed it.

Wait until Spring and you’ll have more interest. I wish I was closer