used marine goo for minicell

I bought some minicell to make inserts for my kayak and I am absolutelyu terrible at this DIY stuff. I couldn’t find barges cement but I got GOO Marine. I cut the foam. Which itself went OK, didn’t want to sand with a grinder, but now the newxt morning it’s on and it doesn’t look too good. That goo is a little streetchy and it’s not up against the fibreglass too good. Anyone ever used this and had it work for this purpose? ANyway to get it off, saving my kayak and foam and getting barge? Help

! thanks.

Don’t use too much goop
I’ve used Barge Cement on several boats, to good success. Key is to spread a THIN layer on both sides to be assembled, then wait for it to slightly tack up. Press together and hold securely for a few moments (you may need to clamp some items). Also, you might need to first lightly sand the surfaces to be adhered, depending what they are.

I believe this advice holds for most similar adhesives and sealants. Did you read the instructions on your Marine Goop package?

Barge Cement is flexible (rubbery) but if you follow their instructions it cures to a nice solid hold.

I Don’t Know, But I Did The Same Thing
I used Marine Goo to glue a seat in my SOT, and it didn’t work that well, there is a gap beteen seat and boat. I just left it because I don’t want to make a bigger mess removing it

hi
yeah, I just went outside and sat in it, and while I did a good, if somewhat ugly job cutting the right sized foam, it just peeled half off when I sat in it. And the remainder on the foam and side of kayak peedled off too.

Guess it’s off to get barges.

DAP contact cement
thin layers on each surface, wait for them to dry a bit, then stick together and hold in place for a few minutes.

I use contact cement on hip pads in plastic kayaks and for heel pads in plastic and fiberglass kayaks. It has all held up pretty well. Sometimes they knock loose but it takes less than 15 minutes to prep and re-glue after everything dries.

I used Marine Goop to glue Minicell
braces in my glass boat and a bulkhead in a plastic boat. The trick is to not use too much,keep pressure on it for a couple of days. It takes several days to cure completely, but after that, it is not coming out.It is not very viscous at first, so you can’t fill a big gap all at once. If you use too much,it will run out.

Dap Weldwood
http://dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=35

Lowe’s, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Walmart, Menard’s.

i use silicone on composite
when putting in minicell foam. have done so on 2 seats and hip braces on the one boat. the reason i use this is because it holds well, and it also peels off when i need it to. it can be a bit tenacious on the composite itself, but it is better than some of the alternatives like Sikaflex for example, which will never come off.

Silicone is bad news in boats

– Last Updated: Jul-18-08 12:39 PM EST –

The problem is that it bonds poorly, which is why you can peel it off and it leaves a residue the prevents anything else from stick to the surface. While silicone is fine for caulking bathtubs, it's worse than useless in a kayak. Contact cement or adhesives like Lexel work much better and don't have the drawbacks of silicone.

Personally, I use GOOP or Lexel for installing foam bulkheads and similar applications where the joint will be under pressure while it cures, but contact cement gets the nod for everything else. My favorite contact cement is Weldwood Gel, as it works as well as the liquids, but doesn't run all over the place. When installing foam seats, I'll usually run a bead of Goop around the edges after installing the seat with contact cement. That seals the the seat-to-hull joint and prevents water from getting in under the seat.

hi
Thanks! you have just given me a use for my goop.

Even when my yak is dry for days there will be water stay under the seat, now I’ll fix that.

There is a specialty store here that sells barges, and I just used it and it is pretty badass.