Used OT Penobscot 17 Royalex Pricing advice

I’m looking at a used Penobscot 17 in Royalex. The canoe is a 2000 and appears from the photos to be in excellent shape. I’m just not sure how to account for the age. I know that how it is stored makes a great difference. That I will find out when I take a look at it this week. They are asking $850 which seems a bit high but, maybe not outrageous given the condition. Also, any thing I should look for other than obvious damage, etc? Thanks in advance for any advice.

In the Twin Cities area, that would be a fair price for an excellent condition, properly stored P17: It would probably sell within a week. Much less and it would sell in hours. With good light, look closely at the hull below each gunwale rivet to be sure there are no cold cracks. They can be quite subtle sometimes.

Tell me where it’s at and I’ll make a thorough analysis of the value and let you know.

Black Fly, I forgot to say it is in Massachusetts. Thanks Kona. It has been posted for a month or so. But, its winter so maybe no one is thinking about it now.

@Riverduck said:
I’m looking at a used Penobscot 17 in Royalex. The canoe is a 2000 and appears from the photos to be in excellent shape.

Made in 2000 - its just a baby. There are a lot of years left on that boat. If you are really looking for a Penobscot then buy it because you may not see another one for sale for a while. My favorite Penobscot picture from one of our local races.

Old Town Penobscot

That’s a great photo and that looks like a lot of fun. I’m looking at it tomorrow and barring any surprises I am likely to buy it. You are right, I haven’t seen a lot of them around.

@eckilson said:

@Riverduck said:
I’m looking at a used Penobscot 17 in Royalex. The canoe is a 2000 and appears from the photos to be in excellent shape.

Made in 2000 - its just a baby. There are a lot of years left on that boat. If you are really looking for a Penobscot then buy it because you may not see another one for sale for a while. My favorite Penobscot picture from one of our local races.

Old Town Penobscot

I can hear that bow paddler now saying "oh s --t !

Guy