Using tape to protect vehicle paint when using tie-down loops

I’m attempting transport a kayak using a vehicle that does not offer any tie-down spots using some purchased web loops protruding from the vehicle at key points. I’ve seen images online of people using tape to protect their paint jobs from friction with these loops. What sort of tape should one use for this?

I’ve used similar loops on different vehicles over many miles without any visible wear to the paint.

Scratches come from grit, not the web per se. Wash the car first, or at least clean the touch points. Never taped but I’d go with something non-agressive like masking tape on a car.

I’ve been using the under-hood nylon straps (attached to a chunk of rubber hose under the hood) for about 5 years now, including hauling multiple boats on highway trips of over 1000 miles and see no wear on the paint from them. I suspect you would risk more damage to the paint from tape adhesive than you would ever have from any abrasion from the soft webbing.

I wouldn’t apply any old tape. If there is a spot that will consistently see running, you could apply a piece of clear bra (3M makes it).

A small microfiber towel placed between the strap and vehicle would work as well, but as stated above, keeping the paint clean is the most important

Used hood tie downs for a decade. In my case some rope left over from my last rerigging job. Never seen any, at all, effect on the paint.

If you are determined to complicate your life with adding something there is fancy clear stuff you can get from most auto shops that is supposed to be safe. I have always opted for more robust barriers, but since it is supposed to be for autos it would probably be OK.

The webbing might have some grit embedded in it too, so I like the idea of protecting the paint. I’ve used vinyl electrical tape on car paint for short durations and it came right off without hurting the paint. And there are lots of adhesive films (on ebay, for example) that are used on car bodies, such as adding fake carbon fiber details. I also wonder if you could use some flexible magnetic sheet, like they use for temporary advertising signs on car bodies. Here’s one example, but a search will turn up lots.

Magnetic Sheet on Amazon

We transport literally dozens of kayaks on vehicles with hood loops every month (we deliver a lot of boats), and never use anything to protect the paint on the vehicles, since when they’re not in use and under tension, we just open the hood and put them back inside, the way they’re envisioned to be used.

I’ve been using Thule “QuickDraw” tie downs - 1/4" braided rope - with their hood loops for two kayaks on my Santa Fe for about 7 years. There has been no wear whatsoever on the car’s paint.

1 Like

Never had a problem with hood paint issues over many years of paddling. If I were protecting against what you mention the two fixes would fall along these lines: Permanent = 3M clear film. As needed: an inch or two of painters tape/electrical tape or a small microfiber towel/clean T-shirt cut out (and hope it does blow away at high speed)

1 Like

I missed that you’re asking about using those webbing loops that get pinched under the hood. My idea to use a magnetic film is aimed more at something like a bow line coming up from the front of the car and wrapping over the front of the hood.

I used clear Gorilla tape to this purpose once. Took longer to get the residue off than was worth it.

1 Like

Been using loops since 1990
Transported hundreds of thousands of miles
Never had a paint abrasion issue
Most of my vehicles are in it for the long haul about 300000 miles so there is not much of a turnover
If you are in a vehicle fleece I understand you might be concerned

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Given what I’m hearing here, I won’t worry about it.

1 Like