Utility Trailers w modifications for carrying Kayaks

I have had that type of axle with a grease through spindle on a couple of boat trailers I’ve had in the past. I never trusted them to properly grease the bearings. I always disassemble the hubs, clean and inspect bearings, then repack with new grease once a year. I install a new grease seal every time I pull a hub. I do pull my boat long distances and launch in salt water. Hubs on a utility trailer that never get dunked in water should be fine using just the grease fitting on the end of the spindle.

willowleaf - my previous Harbor Freight trailer was too heavily sprung also. Trailer springs are actually easy to replace, and there are places where you can buy springs with different load capacities. Here’s one: Trailer Leaf Springs at Trailer Parts Superstore

Also, it turned out that removing one or more leaves from a spring stack is an easy job. Wilkes-Barre spring apparently does it all the time to customize springs so I expect that any spring shop could do it. My replacement springs were 4-leaf and the spring rate feels about right after they removed all but the single main leaf.

2 Likes

Appreciate that advice! I will look into modifying the springs.

That was going to be my advice as well. I live a life where trailers are a normal part of daily life and re-springing or modifying multi leaf springs for the appropriate ride is common for me.

I live in a major metro area and honestly don’t know anyone else who owns a trailer. In fact, since I have two trailers and a good sized box truck, I’m the person people that I know call when they need something moved (like picking up furniture and building supplies or rescuing motorcycles that have broken down on the road). I have to drive out to the remoter burbs, like into adjacent counties, to do things like have hitches installed on my vehicles or to dump the waste tanks or have specific types of service done on my camper conversion truck. Usually 90 minutes to 2 hour round trip to find those sorts of businesses that are common in more rural adjacent areas. When I visit my brother in upstate NY those kinds of services are everywhere.

This is a leftover truck bar attached to the front of a utility trailer. Boat can go over bar and ramp. Cradles can be added. Note conduit. Wires fare better when protected. In the junction box I connect to terminal strips that ease troubleshooting.b

This was the rear end from an Aerostar Mini Van. My father -in-law, the retired farmer built it. I added an old truck tool box for storage. There is also conduit on this trailer and larger gauge wire than usual trailer wiring. LED lights and better wiring are worth the effort and expense.

Nice job! I’ve been planning to rewire my trailers with PVC conduit and boxes that way too. So tired of having the exposed wiring fail, even when I’ve taped the heck out of every splice and keep a baggie twist-tied around the connector plug! Already got one ticket for the braking signal punking out during an interstate trip and now the replacement set has failed again on my utility trailer after I loaded it up with a huge pile of dead brush to haul to the borough’s yard waste dump site. It’s adjacent to the police station so even though I would only be driving a half mile on back streets to offload it, the local constabulary would be delighted to pounce on me right in their own parking lot if I show up with dead lights…

Where I live, trailers are ubiquitous—cattle and horse trailers, huge trailers for hauling large quantities of hay, heavy equipment trailers, etc. Boat trailers, yes. But not kayak trailers. The Trailex is not what I’d consider up to being abusively handled by no-nothing, self-proclaimed “pros”.

Even in the “big city” of Durango, auto mechanics there said their customers with boat trailers tended to go to a farther-away town where there was an actual boat trailer shop. That would be a 4- to 5-hr round trip for me.

Light boards are fairly common here on aquatic trailers, Australia . They have all your turn/ brake/ tail light fittings, usually LED, but are not fixed to the trailer. You tie them, hang them off the rear end of the watercraft. There is usually a long lead to the light board from the socket on the towing vehicle.
https://www.arkcorp.com.au/product/standard-trailer-board-lights/

2 Likes

I used to use a light board for sail boats. It was fastened to the rear rack for carrying the mast and boom on an 18 ft scow. Worked more reliably that regular trailer lights on a boat trailer. Lights never met the water.

They have wireless light bars now that down need wire. Look for them at wrecker supply places. Or etrailer.com

2 Likes

Took my kayak trailer to the local trailer maintenance/sales place and asked them to rewire it with the next size up wire. They just fixed the connections I was messing with. They were like many looking for quick fixes. I had to do it myself.

Always best to take it to the place that will fix it once, correctly. In a month or so I’m taking a trailer to an expert four hours one way to have the heating fluid changed. It is a Swedish heat system.

Man, I’d be willing to make an overnight(s) trip IF I knew that the trailer shop was good! I agree with you about getting it done right in one go instead of being strung along in multiple crappy bits.

I’ve got to say that any trailer light system needs maintenance. Especially construction work trailers, boat trailers and anything else that drives/towed on salted roads.