Valley Qajariaq

“Tempest” vs “Qajariaq”?

– Last Updated: Jan-23-05 11:32 AM EST –

You're kidding, right? You need to put one o' them smiley faces on yer post.

Names
>I read that the Anas Acuta is a bird. Also read a somewhere that Qajariaq means fast kayak in Greenlandic.

Anas Acuta is latin for “pin-tailed duck”.

Qajariaq is Greenlandic for “similar to a Greenland qajaq (kayak)”.

Qajariaq is pronounced as “Gah-yair-ee-ock” The q’s in Greenland are gutteral – like starting to gargle. To give you an idea, you can hear “qajaq” (Greenland kayak) pronounced at http://www.qajaqusa.org/common_images/qajaq.wav. More Greenland kayaking terms are listed on the Qajaq USA site at http://www.qajaqusa.org/common_images/qajaq.wav.

Stan Chladek asked me for a list of Greenland words for a new “Greenland” kayak last year, and Qajariaq was on the list. So if you don’t like the name, I guess you can blame Stan and I. :wink: At least the name is finally spelled correctly.

That said, I was hoping for a much different kayak – I’m 5’10" and 175lbs and the current kayak (Anas) is already too large for me, but it is smaller than the typical production kayak.

Greg Stamer

Less rocker=straighter lines=less drag
As simple as it gets. Less rocker can also equal harder to turn and tougher to handle seas. Also, oversimplified/

Balacning the amount of rocker it for intended use - and how that balance/feel suits and individual paddlers tastes are key.

Now to design one with adjustable rocker. Be easiest to do with a folder…

csal@cox.net
Thanks Sing, I love the Qajaq site and have learned a great deal following it. The owner of Betsie Bay (AL) has 11+1/2 feet and wieghs 225 also he made sure his feet fit comfortably under the front deck of the Recluse and the Manitou. For me I just have to be able to wiggle my feet around in a strait up position to paddle more than a couple of hours. The Outer Island and the Spirt are designs that seem to have taken this into account. I don`t think the majority of folks purchasing the Qajariaq use a Greenland paddle. I am interested in trying and have just finished carving my first one out of a cedar 2 x 4.

Chuck

Chuck

csal@cox.net
Thanks so much Greg, It`s great to have the correct answers from an authority like yourself. I am somewhat frustrated in that most of the paddlers who repond to the Greenland style post for the most part seem to average 165 to 175 lbs with not much body fat. As you know alot of folks like myself started seakayaking late (49) and struggle developing the flexability needed to progress.I think the Qajariaq is the answer for me anyway. Perhaps if and when I can back to my prior years fitness level (ha) then I will want a real Greenland fit too. Thank you for all you do for the paddling community.

Chuck

How About…
“Tempest in a teapot…” Or, “Much Ado About Nothing…?” :stuck_out_tongue:

sing

PS. Note similie with tongue out. :slight_smile:

Good Emoticons
Wonder how you say ‘teapot’ in Greenland?

I’ve put some thought into that also.

– Last Updated: Jan-23-05 3:33 PM EST –

On hang gliders we have a VG (variable geometry). In essence it's a device (levers and pulleys) that allows you to change the flight characteristics (geometry) while in flight. Tightening a VG will firm up the wing and change the aspect ratio which adds much to the performance of glide and speed but takes away handling. Of course loosening a VG will have the opposite effect, giving more handling but loss of performance. When launching and landing a glider the VG is loose so you have the best handling when you need it. When soaring you tighten it up and make use of the performance to stay up and follow thermal activity.

Yes basically today's hang gliders are similar to folding kayaks. So I see no reason it couldn't work in a similar way. I just need someone with better design skills than I to do it.

Matt

yeah but the problem with Styx
is that I would have Mr. Roboto running through my head every time I got in the boat!

I like acheron,
and agamemmnon myself, and Thetis and Briseus are favorites of mine too.

only if it was
a type VIIC diesel/electric WWII era submarine. This could be accurate if you had a particularly heavy person in a very small kayak?

For more info see http://uboat.net

Qajariaq
The Qajariaq is here (pronouced kwah-jerry-ack)and it means “Greenland Kayak” in Greenland Inuit language.

For those paddlers who aren’t on the east coast, the new Qajariaq will be at Canoecopia next month and arriving at VCP dealers around the US in the next few weeks.

-Daryl

Great River Outfitters

actually I wasn’t kidding

– Last Updated: Jan-25-05 8:10 AM EST –

but I could be.
I think maybe flatpick has sung you some kind of sweet lyrical ballad, or sea shanty to make Tempest sound cool.
to me it sounds like the name of a muscle car. And maybe some guys like that. I think nautical vessels should have a different naming convention, like those in the british navy. But maybe that's a bit too prosaic.

Daryl, as long as you’re here.
What’s the story with the plastic Aquanaut? Is it coming out anytime soon and what has been the problem? I’m not sure I’ll even fit the boat but I’d like to try one before making a decision on a new one.—Rich

Received it this weekend!

– Last Updated: Jan-24-05 2:49 PM EST –

Hi!
I received my Qajariaq this weekend. I've been waiting for it since the beginning of summer last year...
Yesterday I paddled it for the first time (a short run).
Its a really nice kayak. The cookpit is more roomy than the Bahiya and it's very easy to turn.

/E

Hi Zeb
Could you elaborate a little more on the fit, finish and performance of the Qarjariaq? Also, what is your height and weight?

Thanks,

NJP17

ok I had to say it, and I’m sorry
what have you made in your qajariaq’s cookpit

so far, got any good recipes :slight_smile:

Ok just kidding, sorry, sorry, and if english is your second language, I’m really sorry.

Quajariak + Aquanaut RM
They have arrived, after well, over a year both the Qajariak and the Aquanaut RM are now in the US of A. They arrived in the latest container from Valley and will be at local vendors soon. Some info on the Aquanaut RM. The RM is coming in two layups, a heavy and a light. The heavy layup is similar to old town polylink 3 (you would have to talk GRO or Valley for specefics) the light layup is your normal poly. The heavy layup weighs in at 73 pounds with hatches and rigging. A decent weight, but don’t be scared this boat will take a huge beeting. Great for paddling in the south where heat makes oil canning an actual issue (don’t see to much of that up north).Also it has adjustable thigh braces. Simple screw in and adjust, simple is nice. I measure in at about 6’3" and can fit in nicely, don’t know if I really like the feel of the new thight braces but, seeing as how I usually paddle an ocean cockpit Pintail it takes me a while to adjust to any boat. The Quajariak is also another beuty. Fit wise it is nice. An extremely low cockpit combing in the stern (classic greenlander style)makes for an interesting feel. A large volume in the bow of the boat allows for a wide fit of people. The only thing I can truly say is anyone interested call your local valley dealer, see if and when they are getting these two boats in, and the paddle.

-James Stringer

Quajariak + Aquanaut RM
They have arrived, after well, over a year both the Qajariak and the Aquanaut RM are now in the US of A. They arrived in the latest container from Valley and will be at local vendors soon. Some info on the Aquanaut RM. The RM is coming in two layups, a heavy and a light. The heavy layup is similar to old town polylink 3 (you would have to talk GRO or Valley for specefics) the light layup is your normal poly. The heavy layup weighs in at 73 pounds with hatches and rigging. A decent weight, but don’t be scared this boat will take a huge beeting. Great for paddling in the south where heat makes oil canning an actual issue (don’t see to much of that up north).Also it has adjustable thigh braces. Simple screw in and adjust, simple is nice. I measure in at about 6’3" and can fit in nicely, don’t know if I really like the feel of the new thight braces but, seeing as how I usually paddle an ocean cockpit Pintail it takes me a while to adjust to any boat. The Quajariak is also another beuty. Fit wise it is nice. An extremely low cockpit combing in the stern (classic greenlander style)makes for an interesting feel. A large volume in the bow of the boat allows for a wide fit of people. The only thing I can truly say is anyone interested call your local valley dealer, see if and when they are getting these two boats in, and the paddle.

-James Stringer

More info

– Last Updated: Jan-24-05 4:21 PM EST –

I'm 188cm/92kg.
When I tried the Bahiya I thought it was a bit to small for me, especially the thigh braces. This is not the case in the Qajariaq.
But even though the cockpit(!) is roomy, it wasn't to big.
The finish is good (VCP). When it comes to performance I can't really tell since it was a short first run.
Because it has hard chines and a v-shaped hull (I think), it has a tendency to "lay down" on either side of the hull, which could give a feeling of instability just like the Bahiya.

English is my second language, but there's nothing to be sorry about. ;-)

/E