VCP Hatch Covers:

Try…
…vacuum sealed in the refigerator!

Guys, I don’t disagree with you.
Your points are very valid. I just shared some information about “why” you are seeing a change in durability. I think it may be worth an email to Jason @ Valley to see if they are looking into other material blends.

I’ll live with it until I find a better hatch, but like ya’ll would like a more durable material.

try

– Last Updated: Jun-26-09 5:15 PM EST –

contacting Valley and see what they have to say?

Contact VCP directly?
Actually, I was hoping someone from VCP would weigh in voluntarily. I don’t know how to contact anyone with any horse power. Many of you folks have been around a lot longer than I have.

PM’d you…

Surely they are not unaware.
Seems this is not exactly a news flash. Are additional irate/disappointed customer emails really needed at this point?

I haven’t contacted them as I’d like to assume they’re already working on it. Otherwise they either have heads in the sand and are stalling, or actually are fine with this situation and like being in the “tire” business.

I’m sure Valley would prefer nice quite emails no one else sees, but it’s past that.

If anyone thinks talking about this among fellow paddlers is unfair to Valley, consider this is the first thread on this I’ve bothered to participate in on the subject, and didn’t start it, though I’ve been through several covers in a relatively short time.

I replied here as my experience was as bad or worse than OP’s. Subsequent posts confirm others are getting the same dreadful performance from them. Paddlers should know about this, factor it into their purchase plans, and decide for themselves if they are OK with this sort of failure and accelerated replacement schedule.

Yakwise… hatches I had in my shop
dry rotted on a shelf in 4 years, in the A.C., maybe sooner, but I didn’t check 'em till I need to replace one on my Pintail. All had the same circular crack right at the underside outer edge flange. The day hatches rot seemingly much faster than the oval hatches.

I’ll stop by the Valley booth at the…
Outdoor Retailer Trade Show next month in Salt Lake City and see IF I can get a response out of their guys manning the booth.

their email

– Last Updated: Jun-26-09 11:29 PM EST –

is listed at their website.. why not drop them a line and see what they have to say? They have responded to my emails in the past and they are the only ones who can remedy the situation, not me.

Edit: this is what I said in my first post "disappointing to learn of the failing material in hot climes.."

no one said you can't also post whatever you want

i know i would contact them as well, they will probably want to know where and when you bought it, and might have advice about storage, then post what they say here, or they may want to respond.. as in how long they should last, 4 years 8 years? etc..

info@valleyseakayaks.com

15 years and counting
The Valley hatches on my Sirius are 15 years old and still water proof.

my guess
is this is a mildew problem and not a UV problem… you may want to remove the hatches after washing and let the entire kayak and hatches dry in the sun before storing it… I put a fan on my kayak to dry it out… if not I know mildew would start growing under the seat and in places like hatch rims…

all it takes is a little shade around here and mildew starts to grow on the rubber on car moldings even it you keep it washed and drive everyday…

UV barrier coat?
I wonder if there’s a UV barrier coat other than 303 that’s flexible enough to work on the VCP hatches?

Aircraft fabric typically use an aluminum-pigmented coating to deal with UV exposure. It is flexible, but probably not enough for the hatches.

It may also be ozone related
What happens is that the foam material breaks down and cracks. Leaving the covers on a boat with un-vented bulkheads probably adds to the problem, since the covers will be constantly stressed by temperature-induced pressure changes in the sealed compartments.

I’m not sure it would stick…

– Last Updated: Jun-27-09 10:49 AM EST –

...to hatch covers. Airplane dope isn't really meant for coating anything other than fabric. You could try a coat of Marine Goop, which contains UV inhibitors.

good point

– Last Updated: Jun-27-09 11:20 AM EST –

I was thinking along the same lines.. am curious as to what it might be.. heat, mildew, or what?

Only one person said it was around the rims, so it's hard to trouble shoot without much info..

What if pressure is forcing moisture into the material then it mildews before it can dry out?

After mildew starts dry rot it's like cancer.

Edit: Valley should be the one trouble shooting this. I'm just offering suggestions, not my job.

Also, mildew is much different down south exp on the coast.. and as Salty mentioned the EPA has cracked down on OVCs, but other materials are being developed..

UV and ozone
are very likely the culprits. I can safely rule out mold. I use my boats 3-4 days a week, year 'round, and always wash them down. The hatch covers are removed before transporting, washed, dried and stored seprately. Never on the kayak. This time they will be stored in an air conditioned place. I want to see if this makes any difference. Now to remember to pack them! I just got an e-mail address for Peter Orton. I will try that avenue as well. Ken…

Origninal formula NM

Now you’re all getting silly
How crazy would Goop be as a coating!! Wow!

It ain’t mildew (nice theory though as destructive as it can be), and it ain’t excessive UV.

I’m talking about a barely used kayak, paddled rarely and only in salt water, covers kept off, dry, and shade stored (in a carport) - also 303 treated. In all not very mildew friendly scenario (even in FL), and minimal UV exposure too.

Maybe it’s the 303, and that stuff isn’t as miraculous and inert as people say (and maybe does degrade some materials like Armor All can). The account of the new ones kept on a shelf in AC still failing seem to rule that out (unless he 303’d them in storage).

It is what it is guys, a poor material that degrades over time on it’s own, shrinking/cracking/crumbling, and obviously this is accelerated by temperature. Several with same story. Why so hard to accept?

What next, a “bad batch” theory?

ken

– Last Updated: Jun-27-09 3:17 PM EST –

thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.. as I said this is disappointing to learn they are dry rotting even with very good care.. I thought washing them and soring them off the kayak would be enough.. But perhaps they need to be bone dry and sored in a bag or in the house? I know we have to keep PFDs and spray skirts stored in the AC.. Look forward to what Valley has to say. I plan to build an outside kayak rack with a small roof up against the house, but for now was just keeping it on the floor in a laundry utility room.

Edit: if your kayak bulk heads aren't vented consider a very small hole.. Valley now has them..no water gets in..

VCP hatch covers
Okay, today I sent an email to Peter Orton, and copied him my original post. Hopefully it will gain us some support. Thanks all, for contributing to our collective need. With all of you joining in, this may not appear to be the ranting of one old geezer!

The Old Cap’n