VCP Hatch Covers:

I agree it’s not a great material…
…but there has to be some reason(s) for the variability in lifespan. It doesn’t make sense that they would last for a decade or more for some people and only 2-3 years for others for no reason. We don’t know if different materials or processes were tried at times or if there are enough variables in the manufacturing process to account for the differences in durability, but something has to account for it.

Isn’t it about time…
…they provide hatch covers of equal quality?

No kidding! It sure is! Is THIS what I’ve got to look forward to for my Aquanaut in a year or two?

You know, at the prices they charge for their boats, a Kajaksport-akin cover material shouldn’t put the boat out of the market for the market they’re after.

(For those in the know -does Kajaksport make front & rear oval large & small hatches, and smaller still round day hatches -that’ll work on Valley boats?)

Just hope they don’t bite the dust when I’m about to load up and

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

In the future
I would recommend returning any product you feel is defective to the place you bough them, contact Valley with useful information such as where and when you bought them, pictures, use, kind of kayak, etc.

They may want to know if the bulkheads are vented, how you store the hatch covers, etc.

People can exagerate on the internet and seems kind of wacky approach to send a post from the internt instead of composing an email and contacted the place you bought them, etc.

Now we have people complaining who don’t even have a problem.

is it not the price…

– Last Updated: Jun-28-09 10:33 AM EST –

of the replacement covers that most irritates people?

I used to do work as a graphic designer for a plastics moulding company in CT. They made products like dental seat cushions, surgical furniture pads and items like the Valley hatch covers. Black plastic compound items that look like rubber. Those hatches are worth, about $8 from manufacturing if that. How they elevate to the price that you pay from dealers is a big jump.

I just replaced 4 of them - 2 ovals. They were about 8 yrs old.

Old formula probably could last a decade
Let’s not confuse things, and stick to the revised environmentally friendlier stuff. When was the switch?

Are you saying there’s a warranty?
One that would cover ANY of these failures? A 2, 3 or more year warranty?

Since there’s none I’m aware of, your suggestion is really just another attempt to get us off this topic here. To keep it quiet and private. What’s your dog in this fight anyway?

You don’t like us discussing these problems here? Imagine how we feel about you complaining about that!

floating not vital
All my hatch covers are tethered. I’d gladly give up having them float for a for durable material.

I’m not sure that it matters
The covers that I’ve seen fail have all been quite old. The newer covers on my boats seem to hold up fine, but they’re all at least 5 years old. Unless there was a change in the last few years, it doesn’t seem like the issue is the formulation of the material.

True the price is ridiculous
Although I haven’t bought any in a while, other than a few I nabbed for short money at an LL Bean outlet, paying $35-$40 for an 8" round cover or $75-$80 for an oval is pretty insane. Kajak Sport prices aren’t significantly better, but at least they last more or less forever.

No, but…

– Last Updated: Jun-29-09 10:00 AM EST –

...you'd be surprised how many people never think to tether their hatch covers until they nearly lose one out on the water. I've seen Valley covers float away and KS covers sink. I'm amazed that all kayaks don't come with hatch cover tethers as standard equipment.

I haven’t heard of one, either
I looked on the site, but it appears that they haven’t even finished the description of the hatch covers, let alone posted any warranty info. Here’s what it says:

“Available in three sizes XX diameter circular, XXX oval and XXX square. Strong yet supple polywhatsit rubber creates a reliable seal with easy access.”

I looked around and didn’t find any warranty information on any of their products.

Hatch cover tethers:
I always tether them, but not to the convenient tab on the inside of the cover, which breaks off so easily. I run a stout cord around the grooved perimeter of the cover, leaving enough length to secure it to a safety/rescue line. I cinch it up with one of those spring loaded toggles. Yes, VCP covers float, something I would gladly do without, but they float rather low in the water. If they drift off even a short distance, they can be very hard to see.

What say you, Salty? NM

I use loop of bungee in the groove…
…and attach a short length of cord to connect it to the deck lines. The bungees help tighten the seal of the hatches.

I use loop of bungee in the groove…
…and attach a short length of cord to connect it to the deck lines. The bungees help tighten the seal of the hatches.

You’re absolutely right that Valley hatch covers are not very visible in the water. I know someone who lost one under the same circumstances you describe. It drifted off a short distance and we were never able to find it. I’ve also seen the same thing happen with a black paddle.

A loop of bungie!
I like that even better. That will give me something to do, this rainy day! How do you tie of the two ends of the bungie?

As an aside, here. I am not a fan of paddle leashes, but in my small group here, I recommend them for night paddles. Drop your paddle, for even a few seconds, and you can hardly find it.

VCP Hatch Covers:
Well, it’s been a month now, and no response from Valley. I have attempted to contact them in two different ways, including a direct e-mail to Peter, but have heard nothing from him/them.

Obviously they are aware of the problem and just wish it would go away rather than face and correct it. Sadly, nothing else will fit the application, so we will just have to suck it up and pay the price. The least they could do would be to offer replacements at a fair price.

Possibly an e-mail campaign from enough of us would inspire some results. Ken

Resurrecting an old thread
Anybody ever get a response from Valley regarding this? I am on my way to the local shop to purchase a new VCP oval for my Sirius tomorrow…

VCP hatch covers
Has anyone got any new info on this problem?

Dave