Vehicle purchase update

Mazda 5
I spent a long time looking for just the vehicle you describe (will carry two boats and get good gas mileage). I did not need 4 wheel drive, so that helped. Ended up getting a Mazda 5. These vehicles seem to get overlooked by a lot of people, but for my needs it seems to be perfect. Can’t tell you much about my experience yet, as I just got it and have not driven it much. From the limited driving I have done, I really like it. Do some reading and look around, but this might be one to consider.

07-09 Honda Fit

– Last Updated: Jun-23-09 7:52 AM EST –

I just got an 09 and Love it. 28-32mpg around town. Hauled 1 boat for short distance,so couldn't give you any mileage drop if there was one. Fairly big inside for paddling/camping gear with seats down. Wind effects car a bit from cross winds,but not unmanageable. Haven't taken any trips with boats,to see the real world experience. BTW unloaded, driving to work 42 miles one way highway each day yielded an average of 40-41mpg. Low roof line can cause head banging incidents,but real easy to load.I hauled 1- 16' canoe,use nylon strap loop tie down points from under hood,and rear tow loop as rear tie point. No over hang up front,and about 3' on rear.

billinpa

Why not Subaru Forester?
If you are getting a gas guzzling SUV anyway? (smirk!)

By gas guzzling I mean anything that does not hit a 40mpg combined hw/city fuel economy -:wink:

I do not think there would be a substantial difference in the consumption of most small SUVs and expect most to barely reach the 20 mpg average combined cycle… And I like the new Forester’s look and utility…

‘99 Saturn SW1
Picked up one a few weeks ago for $1000 Cdn. with 112,500 kms. on the odometer. Needed tires ($150), tranny fluid and filter ($50), rad ($200), rear brakes ($100). The wagon runs well, averages about 7 to 7.5 liters/100 kms. (about 32.5 mpg in US gallons) on the highway and carries our 17’ kayaks just fine. Reckon we’ve got our summer ‘beater’ for the next 3-5 years.

See this…
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1140599

Missed that - Congrats!
Now, time to get a set of [clear] deep threaded plastic floor mats for all that sand and mud related to paddling, rain and winter weather in general…

my Jetta wouldn’t start when it was hot
The dealer on this side of Columbus made a number of half ass attempts to fix it, which I paid for in so many ways. Even after I told them that the dealer in Monroe, Michigan told me that there were hundreds of defective starters in VW parts departments across the county. It took over a year for the dealer to finally fix my jetta - put another new starter on it. No more problems but I didn’t have it long after that. They let me drive a new Jetta while they finally fixed mine, and I got the new car fever.

Are you sure it isn’t something wrong in the starter itself?

Baracuda - how cool.

2005 Rav4
I love my Rav4!!! When it is time to replace it, I will be buying the new version.

Donna

Grand Cherokee

My Jeep Grand Cherokee keeps on ticking getting ready to turn 100k. It gets driven as an SUV on weekends. That is, in the woods, mud sand etc and on the beach at IBSP or towing a 5500lb boat. On Monday it’s off to the car wash and on to business duty ferrying clients to lunch etc. This is my third GC, no major problems with over 300k of driving in all conditions.

Last week, after all the rain, the 2 mile sand/mud access road to one of my favorite canoe put ins was impassable to all but the most capable 4 wheel drive vehicles. Deep mud. The Sparky the jeep did it with out even breathing hard.

Good deals on Jeeps right now! And you can get them optioned up with every creature comfort. You will get about 10%-15% less gas mileage than a Rav 4, but gain a more comfortable more capable vehicle.

Not Starter
I replaced the started a few years ago, but that would not cause a lack of pulse to the fuel injectors.