Velcro as a keel strip?

Who has used 2" wide self adhering industrial grade Velcro (the hook strips, not the fuzzy loop strips) as their keel strip on their kayak? Any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions?

Ahhh…
Wat fer? Protectoon? Duck tape be better an’ a whole lot less wampum.

FE

I cant think of something
that will pick up dirt faster than Velcro…

Sure if you want your yak keel area covered in sand.

And want to spend hours cleaning Velcro.

Perhaps it would be better to avoid dragging and scraping the bottom.

Clear Duct tape
works well and sticks when wet - I have never had it come loose because of being wet. It does not last long. I paddle every other day and replace the clear duct tape about once per month.

The perfect solution is teflon tape

why?
I can’t imagine why anyone would do that. The velcro is not exactly very efficient in the water, and there are so many other kinds of tabe one could use.

haha
Trolling for weeds.

Try Hippo Patch
Just don’t try to remove it without a bucket of elbow grease.

Solas reflective tape would also be good but requires the same bucket if you want to remove it.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

floormarkertape
My 3 kayaks have a floormarkertape(2mm) keelstrip;

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=421910#p421910

How does Hippo Tape …

– Last Updated: Jul-06-10 10:42 AM EST –

Stand up to having the boat dragged onto and off of rocks, sand etc.?? Does it compare to a fiberglass keel strip?

I've done a glass one once before, but if there is a simpler, reasonably equivalent solution such as velcro or hippo tape. I would be tempted to go that route.

An engineer I paddled with did the velcro strip on his and it had been on for two years working quite well for him so I was impressed with the idea of possibly using an industrial strength tape option rather then hassling with glassing one on.

Wouldn’t a Velcro hook keel strip add
significantly more water drag than a fiberglass tape application?

On a markedly V-bottomed canoe, I waited until I’d worn through the white gelcoat and was biting into the first layer of fiberglass. At that point I used epoxy to add a thin 1.5" fiberglass keel strip.

Offhand, I can’t think of a better keel strip material than fiberglass, although I should check and see if polyester is available as a seam tape. It wears fairly smooth and is much lighter than FG. Nylon or Kevlar seam tape would be bad because they fuzz badly.

For all I know
The Hook (not Loop) side of Velcro might just act like those banned competitive swim suits and create the perfect slip through water effect. I’m sure at 2" wide it isn’t going to be noticed one way or the other by 99% of all paddlers though.

One might not notice it, but over a long
day of paddling it may make a difference.

I don’t think any surface treatment has been invented for boats or bodies that makes a BIG difference in performance in the speed ranges we swim or travel. But sometimes things are outlawed for competition just because they add expense while accomplishing only just enough to make everyone think they have to have them. Special surfaces were, I believe, outlawed for rowing shells even though rowing shells are amongst the few human-powered water craft fast enough to profit from such things.

Floor Marker Tape
seems like the best solution after checking out your link. Nice kayaks too - especially the Mariner.

that’s a flippant parting shot
Perhaps the OP paddles in areas and conditions where this is not practical. Not everyone paddles calm ponds.

pickup bed sealer?
People have suggested painting a keel strip with that thick pickup bed liner material. Of course, you still have to mask off the area and paint it, so it only slightly reduces the number of steps for a real keel strip.

Durastripe multiflex

– Last Updated: Jul-07-10 9:29 AM EST –

US/Can. distributor
ergomat.com

The Mariner is a NorthShore Mariner. On your side of the ocean sold as Impex Currituck.
The other one is a Tahé Marine Greenland

Curious
Couldn’t find a picture of either kayak you mentioned on their web site. Is this the material that these two manufactures use in the manufacturing process or simply a material that kayakers have been applying on their own and having success with?

No factory material

– Last Updated: Jul-08-10 5:38 AM EST –

http://www.northshoreseakayaks.com/ is taken over by
http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/ and they re-named the Mariner in Atlantic.

Greenland; http://www.tahemarine.com/

It's no factory material, I just found it on www.