Velcro for outfitting canoe

I’m very much the novice so I’ll use that as an excuse to ask probably the most dumb question that has ever been asked here.

“Why not use Velcro instead of glue on D-rings?” I didn’t find much with a Google search.

My thinking is a wide strip running along the centerline to attach anything you would use a glue on D-ring for, but with the option to adjust positions to what ever the need may be. With enough surface area i would think it would be pretty secure. I assume this was tried and failed before or this would be the norm instead of the glue on patches or daisy chains. I’m just curious and brave enough to ask.

1 Like

Water
I think you are grossly underestimating the force of water. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

kru

velcro
Velcro works for some attachments well but not so well for others. In fact I have owned 3 kayaks whose decks attach all the way around with continuous Velcro and it holds very well. Brand name Velcro comes in some vary strong “industrial” versions that are incredibly grippy. But it depends on the direction of the force on it. Velcro is great at resisting force that is parallel to its plane of connection. In other words, you will never be able to separate the two halves of Velcro paired strips by pulling them sideways. You could even attach yourself to a wall with Velcro and never slide off.

But it is designed to release by pulling perpendicularly to the plane of attachment. You can’t slide it apart but you can pull it apart. Which means if you had something Velcroed inside a canoe and it capsized, the force of water around the object or it getting hit by your foot or a rock or any other force that caused a tearing pressure away from the velcro surface would rip it right off.

We use pieces of it here and there

– Last Updated: Apr-20-16 9:50 AM EST –

and it works great for holding miscellaneous stuff like water bottles, spare paddles or any thing else that you want secured in case of a mishap.

Been using it for years

Jack L

I used velcro
on thigh straps in a c1. Worked good for that since it was sewn in. Velcro did eventually wear out from repeated use. I think the tricky part is getting a good bond when applying it directly to a boat. It also could get pretty grunged out from mud and sand but I still say go for it.

seats ?
seats…pedestal/tractor…are removable mounted with industrial Velcro but held down vertically with camed strapping attached to…D Rings.

Pedestal/tractor units need an added foundation for that side velco. Velcro gaining strength with more surface area. The pedestal with an added stiff bottom surface plate gains overall stability for…continuous vertical forces.

Units are then removeable…interchangeable and adjustable.

I use a water bag keel in a Solstice Titian. MSR 10 liter Dromedary bags are velcroed to the keel and strapped down/weighted down in the hatchs. No problems with this during roll practice. The added weight rolls the hull …with 2 paddle float hip snap practice.

Velcro is from Seattle Fabrics. There should be reports herein.

Velcro often used

– Last Updated: Apr-21-16 5:05 AM EST –

for quick release on things like thigh straps or tow belts. Like tdaniel, I wouldn't use it on anything that needs to be permanently attached to the boat.

I Use 3M Dual Locks For my Seats
Or pedestals. Velcro no longer works, anytime a tiny bit of over spray from an aerosol lubricant comes in contact with it.

not strong enough for whitewater
I have used Velcro for a couple of applications such as securing the bottom of a bilge pump to the hull, or securing ankle blocks that I did not want to glue in permanently.

The loop Velcro collects quite a bit of dirt and sand and looses its grip more quickly than one would like. Based on my experience, it is OK for non-critical applications in which no direct distracting force is applied. It would be totally inadequate for securing thigh strap anchors, IMO. It might be adequate for securing a pedestal, but if one heeled the boat radically and applied a lifting force to one side of the pedestal, I would not be surprised if it lost its grip.