Vero Beach Florida questions

Any good places to paddle?
Outfitters who rent kayaks?

Sebastian Inlet State Park looks like a pretty sweet place to spend some days. I’ve never been there. I wonder if anyone on here has?

I have been to Sebastian inlet, but not anywhere else in the area. I actually found the area around the inlet pretty boring to paddle - not many destinations or cool areas to explore. The inlet itself can be extremely treacherous and I wouldn’t recommend going anywhere near it unless you are an experienced surf paddler.

I definitely think there are some interesting places in the Vero area, but unfortunately I have no direct experience. Just too far for a day trip from here.

String, two suggestions - I am familiar with both services and believe they, and the paddling locations, will meet your expectations.

website_config1company_logo

They rent, and shuttle customers to the headwaters of the St. Sebastian River’s south prong. It is a very scenic paddle from start to finish, back at Dale Wimbrow Park where your vehicles will be.

Or, canoes/kayaks can be rented at the Environmental Learning Center (Vero Beach’s Orchid Island northern barrier island area known as Wabasso) for paddling around (in and through) mangroves and a beautiful little bay in a historical area of the Indian River Lagoon. They have guided tours or one can rent canoes or kayaks for self guided. No shuttles needed at the ELC. It is also a lovely 60 acre nature center with much to see there.

Regards,
Mark L.

Thanks. Good info. I didn’t realize but my brother lives fairly close and added some more places to visit.

The Sebastian Inlet State Park has a marina and a kayak launch. Unsure if they rent kayaks.

Honest John’s Fish Camp does. One of the last remaining old Florida places of its kind. Honest John’s (established 1887) great grandchildren live there still and operate the camp. It’s a bit North from Vero Beach (on highway A1a). Wonderful place to visit. I paddle across the Lagoon, from Grant, and into Mullet Creek’s many channels through mangrove islands often. The wilderness area north of Mullet Creek is a newer Park (Indian River Lagoon Preserve State Park). Always a joy paddling those areas.

If you are going to be paddling south Florida this weekend, wear a helmet or hardhat. The iguanas will be falling out of the trees. That is fine as long as they don’t fall on your head.

1 Like

I’ve seen the Ospreys carrying the smaller ones back to their nest. Time to get the camera out.

Honest Johns - my old stomping grounds! I grew up just a few miles north of there in Indialantic and went to school with the Arthur kids. My dad and I would go down there and canoe and fish all the time. Canoedoc, we used to put in in Grant quite often as well, or just wade out and fish. There was a series of pretty deep holes you could wade out to that held great trout. If the trout weren’t biting you could always castnet for mullet. Good times. Some of my best memories as a kid in the 70s and 80s.

1 Like