Vyna bond to fiberglass

Has anyone used Vyna Bond to attach vinyl tabs to a glass boat? I got a North Water under deck bag for Christmas and really don’t want to order a $22 can of glue from NRS that will cost extra (HazMat shipping) to ship and I’ll only use a fraction of the can.

Marine Goop
I have used it in attaching 3 different under deck bags.

Follow the directions

jack L

it works like a charm

Vynabond makes a mediocre bond
with FG and other boat cloths. I would use G-flex epoxy, which can be bought for less than $20 and mixes 1:1 in small amounts.

vinyl to ?
is in the maybe, maybe not area depending on applied stress. Vyna on vinyl to vinyl is permanent.There is another name now for Vyna…you should follow that up for fiberglass coatings adhesion recommendations.

Calling the manufacturer or rep is possible.

Goop is a low stress adhesive.

Gflex - in this application - is recommended by many untried by a few.

Locktite fabric adhesive in Walmart is versatile but again a low stress adhesive in this application.

What you can do going to a high stress condition is attach your bag with backpacking straps of ? sewn n glued to the underbag then attached to hull with backpacking strap male/female buckle release hardware…see: SEATTLE FABRICS,

HULL mounting would be screwed down with #10 bolt/nut washer hardware onto a thin pad of 3M 4000/5000 Marine Adhesive with the strap on there ending with a male or female…I forget which has strap length adjustment bars on their backsides.

Remove or mount bag into hull inserting male into female buckles.

I couldn’t get Vynabond to stick
After several failed attempts I went straight to G/Flex and they have been rock solid ever since.

Yes

– Last Updated: Jan-06-15 11:28 AM EST –

I have used vinyl adhesives to attach vinyl or PVC backed D rings and anchors to 4 different composite boats without any problem.

When I purchased a composite canoe from Clipper Canoe I asked them what they used to secure vinyl backed anchors and D rings and they said vinyl tec 2000, a vinyl adhesive equivalent to Vynabond so far as I can tell. I used that on the Clipper and I have used Vynabond or other brands of vinyl adhesives to secure anchors on a Mad River Twister, a Curtis Dragonfly, and a Bell Flashfire without any problems. None have let go so far. This includes thigh strap anchors which are subjected to considerable distracting force.

Vinyl adhesive bonds will sometimes weaken and let go eventually. I would not be surprised if this happens on one of these boats at some point. If it does it is quite possible to clean up the hull and the back of the patch and glue it right back down in the same place. Although I have not had to do that with one of these composite boats, I have had to do this with anchors bonded to Royalex boats with vinyl adhesive many times.

If you want to use vinyl adhesive, mark the patch position and rough up the surface of the resin a bit with 100-150 grit sandpaper. It is not necessary to sand down to cloth fibers.

G Flex will very likely result in a more permanent bond but if you ever want to remove the patch (which you might need to do to reposition it, or if a metal D ring rusts, or the stitching lets go) you will likely damage the hull surface somewhat loosening it up, and likely destroy the patch as well.

I have removed anchors from Royalex and composite boats which were bonded in with vinyl adhesive many times, usually with no damage to the boat (other than leaving a circle of slightly different color) and no significant damage to the patch. This can be done by just warming the patch with a heat gun and peeling it up from the edge using a paint scraper to loosen it as you go.

Overall I have been perfectly satisfied using vinyl adhesives to bond in vinyl backed anchors on composite boats and see no reason to switch.

Interesting

– Last Updated: Jan-06-15 10:28 AM EST –

I once asked a guy at our local paddling shop what to use to attach vinyl-patch D-rings to the floor of a composite boat, and he said Vynabond. That advice seemed a little fishy to me. Then I saw a bunch of advice here that it was much better to use more traditional adhesives, and I was even more sure that first guy was wrong. So this is interesting.

I'm not sure that I myself actually need to worry about needing to replace anchor patches for any of the reasons you mentioned (the conditions of use aren't very severe), but your experience makes me think Vynabond is probably good enough in my situation.

What Jack said
I would recommend Marine Goop for your application. I put North Water Under Deck Bags in 4 composite boats & the patches are still holding fine, years later. I chose Marine Goop in case the stitching or buckle ever failed and I wanted to be able to remove & replace it. If you go with G Flex, it will never, ever let go. I used G Flex only on a poly boat, since it’s the only thing I’ve found that will stick patches to poly. Again, they’re holding in that poly boat years later. Too bad North Water won’t get a clue on that. They’re still saying to drill a poly boat to mount their patches.

Vinyl at NRS
http://www.nrs.com/tech_talk/gflexepoxy.asp

a Gflex overview, see sidebar, does not mention vinyl.

Mix Gflex in cut gallon jugs…no adhesion pops off.

mediocre adhesion to small metal parts.

repairs Royalex hulls…R hulls are covered with vinyl.

Gflex tries at one glue for all surfaces. Best finding a specific glue for your surface. What’s $10 more on a worthwhile project where failure can produce safety concerns ? Big deal.

Search for ‘Industrial Supply’ then search individual sites for the specific adhesive if the company doesn’t ship directly.

I tried Goop several times with surface prep finding Goop failures coming away believing Goop is best for ‘household’ repairs, repairing your Rustsolver painted mailbox maybe ?

I used Vynabond with NRS D rings into a Rendezvous…seems permanent. Have a vinyl toolbag pouch, Seattle Fabrics vinyl, holds 10-15 pounds on a 1 inch seam glue only.

I’m not finding Vyna Bond availability, not on Plasti Dips website. Locktite torpedoed Vyna Bond ? The Lock is 50% of the Vyna.

You are left with H 66: https://www.google.com/#q=HH-66+Vinyl+Cement&tbm=shop

Seattle Fabrics sells H 66

G/flex
G/flex Epoxy Adhesive will definitely provide a good bond of your vinyl tabs to fiberglass. I recommend the G/flex 655 thickened formulation. There can be some confusion about “vinyl.” The more formal term is poly vinyl chloride, or PVC. G/flex is an excellent adhesive that bonds many similar and dissembler materials, great to have in your repair tool kit. The only issue you may find with it is that it’s not a contact adhesive, materials must be clamped or weighted during curing. Check out the use instructions - http://www.nrs.com/global/repair/655-8_Gflex_RepairKit.pdf

-Clyde

NRS

Thanks
I have some Gflex so I will just go with that, it is easy to use and I have experience with it. Thanks again for the help