Walden Passage or WS lookout 155

-- Last Updated: Mar-30-04 1:50 PM EST --

My first yak was a Pungo and I've been paddling for about three years now.

I went to my local outfitter yesterday to check out some new kayaks in the 15' range and within my budget.

The two boats that seem to fit the bill were the Passage and the Lookout 155.

My requirements are:
1. Ample storage above and below deck for 4 day camping trips.

2. tracks well, but can still turn in smaller streams.

3. be able to roll (since this is something I'd like to learn)

I took the Passage out for a spin and I truly like it. The retractable skeg is nice for tracking or turning depending on what the situation calls for. The deck rigging is a plus to carry gear.

I was able to get the Passage for a loan for a couple of days to see if it was a good fit. What concerns me is the construction of the boat. The material seems quite thin. I use a set of Hull-A-ports for transport, and I noticed today the the Passage already had some flat spots in the hull where the H-a-Ports made contact.

I recall that the Lookout seemed much stiffer.

Any advice? I'm planning on going back tomorrow to paddle the Lookout.

Don’t Know About The Passage
I have The Capelookout. It’s stiff tracking because of the pronounced keel line that runs right down the center of the boat. If you’re big enough (and comfortable enough), you can edge the boat a bit to disengage the keel and to turn it quicker. If not, rudder she goes. :slight_smile:

I was happy with the boat but I moved out of it in less than a year. I still have the boat as loaner for friends cause it’s pretty stable and it tracks well.

sing

lookout
why did you switch so soon?

Too Big

– Last Updated: Mar-29-04 8:58 PM EST –

I padded it like heck and learned to brace, lean and roll with it. But I got a good deal on CD Squall, a longer but narrower boat. Much easier to lean/edge a narrower boat since I'm small (5'3", 140lbs). And then... Anyway, I am still fond of the Capelookout though I don't paddle it anymore.

sing

Passage
I’d go for the Passage. I’ve paddled them before and it is a nice little kayak and paddles well. I’ve sold them in the past, about 3 years ago and never had a single complaint or problem regarding any of the Waldens.

If you are looking at Wilderness Systems, maybe try out a Cape Horn 15 instead of the Lookout. Nicer kayak, I’ve also paddled them in the past and used to deal them. I’d take the Walden Passage ove reither the Lookout or Cape Horn 15 though.

Cheers…Joe O’

I’ve sold them in the past
Could you address the concerns about the flat spots on the hull from the carrier? I’ve never had this issure before. Is this normal with a boat of this length? Seems to me the WS was much stiffer, but I do like the way the Passage handles.

thanks

It’s typical with polyethylene kayaks…
…with the possible exception of the P&H Capella and Prijon boats. Most poly boat hulls are pretty soft and defect easily under constant pressure.

My first kayak was a Passage…

– Last Updated: Mar-30-04 12:02 PM EST –

...and it served me well before I got "into" paddling more and moved on to higher performance boats. As to your questions/requirements:

1. The Passage has ample storage capacity, but the small forward hatch limits what you can stow up front. Careful packing will get all your gear in.

I would avoid putting a lot of gear on the deck, which is a common beginner's mistake. Weight up high reduces stability and the bulk gets in the way of paddling and rescues. Also, gear on deck is prone to getting washed off, especially if it's only held in place by bungees.

The Passage has a lot of room under the deck and an underdeck bag would be a good alternative to piling gear on top. The peak of the deck is also a great place to store a bilge pump held in a couple of Minicel foam blocks.

2. The Passage tracks well with the skeg down, but is quite maneuverable with it up.

3. I learned to roll in the passage. The high aft deck is somewhat detrimental to easy layback rolls, but it's definitely a roll-able boat.

"What concerns me is the construction of the boat. The material seems quite thin."

Actually, the material that Walden uses is considerably thicker than what most other manufacturers use. It's actually a three layer hull, with a foam-like layer between two skins. The dealer should have samples of the hull material that he can show you.

"I use a set of Hull-A-ports for transport, and I noticed today the the Passage already had some flat spots in the hull where the H-a-Ports made contact."

I noticed that my Passage had flat spots between the bulkheads and just ahead of the skeg box. I can't say whether it really affected the performance or not.

Plastic (polyethylene) hulls deform under pressure, especially if it's hot out. That's just par for the course. Roll them over in the sun and they come right back to shape.

I don't recall my Passage becoming deformed from the pressure of the tie down straps on the rack. However, you can literally bend a boat over the racks if you get too aggressive with bow & stern tiedown ropes (if you use them). They're there to prevent the boat from coming off in the event of a rack or strap failure and they don't need to be tight to do that.

Overall, the Passage was a good boat to learn in. It's seaworthy enough to allow you to play in small surf and develop rolling and bracing skills. Like any boat it's size, it's a bit on the slow side, but whether that matters or not will depend on your touring style. If you like to relax and meander, it's a great boat.

great info

– Last Updated: Mar-30-04 1:46 PM EST –

"Actually, the material that Walden uses is considerably thicker than what most other manufacturers use. It's actually a three layer hull, with a foam-like layer between two skins. The dealer should have samples of the hull material that he can show you."

Interesting....when i look at my walden, i see only two layers. one poly and one foam on the inside.

"I don't recall my Passage becoming deformed from the pressure of the tie down straps on the rack. However, you can literally bend a boat over the racks if you get too aggressive with bow & stern tiedown ropes (if you use them). They're there to prevent the boat from coming off in the event of a rack or strap failure and they don't need to be tight to do that."

I genrally don't use bow/stern lines, but maybe its possible that I am too aggressive with the tie downs on the Hull-A-ports. Just snugging them doesn't leave me with a comfortable feeling when crusing down the expressway. I'll try to back off some.

"Overall, the Passage was a good boat to learn in. It's seaworthy enough to allow you to play in small surf and develop rolling and bracing skills. Like any boat it's size, it's a bit on the slow side, but whether that matters or not will depend on your touring style. If you like to relax and meander, it's a great boat."

Certainly for me its a step up from the pungo, and certainly much faster. Then again I'm not trying to win any races :)

I'm going to try to leave it ouside for a couple of hours to see if the hull 'pops' back out.

thnx

Glad to be of help
"Interesting…when i look at my walden, i see only two layers. one poly and one foam on the inside."

Actually, that may be correct. Check with the dealer to see if he has any samples. Walden provides little squares of the the various colors to dealers.

“I genrally don’t use bow/stern lines, but maybe its possible that I am too aggressive with the tie downs on the Hull-A-ports. Just snugging them doesn’t leave me with a comfortable feeling when crusing down the expressway. I’ll try to back off some.”

That’s one of the big disadvantages of J-cradle type carriers. They don’t conform to the hull like saddles do and don’t hold the boat as securely. They increases the stresses on the rack substantially. You’ve 18" or longer levers working on the crossbars. With the boat on its side, there’s more “sail area” pushing against those levers, too. I’ve also found that the whole system is more flexible than cradles, so the boats tend to move around more. As you might have guessed by now, I won’t use J-cradles, though I have installed them for people who want them.

“Certainly for me its a step up from the pungo, and certainly much faster.”

Definitely.

“I’m going to try to leave it ouside for a couple of hours to see if the hull ‘pops’ back out.”

It will depend on the temperature, too. Once it gets up into the 80’s the plastic will become quite pliable in the sun.

saddles its…
I’ll be ordering a set of saddles today then and keep the J-hooks in case I need an extra rack. The down side of that is that my friends and I at times cram 3 boats on my jeep…and the saddle will obviously not fit then. but i’ll cross that bridge when i get to it. thnx again