WANTED: A GOOD CANOE DOG

Wanted: a dog good for canoe camping,one that will do well in

chilly/wet conditions, not over 25-35 lbs, so it doesn’t upset the canoe too much while I am paddling.

Actually, I will adopt a pup from Humane Society, but will be looking for these attributes… any advice/suggestions are welcome! Bill

Funny to have to pick a category (other gear) for this that fits…

Reina the standard poodle is a
great canoe dog.She is a small one at 45 lbs. though and you are not likely to find one at the pound.

What you will find are Lab mixes; how about one of those ?

Wanted a good canoe master
Pick a breed that is loyal and trainable…the rest is up to you.

What you get depends on what training and time you put into the dog.

The size of the package means less than the movement of the package…unless cargo space is limited.

I had a 35 lb Border Collie…what a nigtmare in a canoe.

The 70 lb retreiver is much better…calmer disposition.

Ditto
A large, calm well trained dog is not a problem in a canoe. I solo often with a 90 lb lab, and occasionally with both the lab and a 60 lb standard poodle. If only they could learn to portage!!!

yellow dog
I wonder if “yellow dog” from the movie “Funny Farm” is still available?

That dog never moved.

My Wife’s Advice…
When I was looking for a good canoe dog, I told my wife I was looking for a dog that was fairly small to minimize rocking the canoe as it shifted positions…and wouldn’t be inclined to leap into the water every time it saw a duck.

Her suggestion?

Get a cat!

(Of course, Hell would have to freeze over first.)

I ended up with a Corgi that would rather ride in the canoe than the car!

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?
I just sent away for a list of breeders. This might make a good canoe dog as it is a gun dog/retriever but apparently is the smallest of the lot.

Anyone know anyone who has one?

You from Mesa State College?
Pamlico_140 will e-mail you…err…himself…Ben.

canoe dog
Basset hound. Low center or gravity, long body to form to boat, and a really cool bark.

nova scotian duck trolling receiver
Hey Brian. I’ve been looking at getting one of these guys ever since my golden retriever died last summer. Everything I’ve heard and read about this breed sounds like it would be a terrific companion. Let me know if you find any breeders.

Jim

Get one that can paddle from both
the bow and the stern, and make sure it will call a “hut” and not a “woof” !

cheers,

JackL

learn from my mistakes : > )

– Last Updated: Apr-20-09 1:18 PM EST –

Check out "The Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic Channel

He emphasizes

Don't humanize the pet, i.e., good companion. He is an pack animal. You must learn to be a good pack leader, calm and assertive, not exited, anxious, angry, frustrated, etc.

Use leadership, exercise and then affection in that order for him to be happy, feel important, and learn to be calm and a follower with you in charge. Then he will lay down and be calm not because his spirit is broken but because he is safe, doing his job and with you, his pack.

Make sure he gets ENOUGH energy every day to satisfy his breed and HIS needs. Otherwise he is frustrated and bored and does not feel a part of your pack. Dogs search for food together, run together, etc. Walks are essential for him seeing you as his leader and bonding with you.

Biggest mistake we all make is to not know that within breeds dogs vary hugely in temperament and energy level.

Always get a dog that is at most equal to your average energy level and lifestyle or LESS!!!!! Almost all dogs that develop behavior problems and are returned have MORE energy.

hope this helps, from one who learned over the giant rubble heap of his own mistakes!!!!!

Regards size and cold weather

Size is not an issue with a calm secure dog. I had a 75 lb lab who added to stability totally great

Get any dog with oily and longer coat. They are resistant to cold. Sporting dogs are bred for this. However, caution, these dogs need huge exercise and have higher energy levels. Any dog can be helped to deal with cold if put a dog pfd on him, feed him and dry him off afterwards. And even Labs can get hypothermic so keep that in mind too.

Hmmmm…
Originally when I started kayaking I had a young Jack Russell (maybe 20 lbs).

I would put some carpet on the deck of my CD Solstice GT and he was happy there. He had a PFD so that when he was in the water he could use his energy to propel himself and he loved to swim that way.

After a while I used the dog as an excuse to get a solo canoe, a Sawyer Shackwave, and the dog liked that even better.

Currently I have a Basset Hound/ Corgi mix.

He’s about 55 lbs and loves to ride in the canoe (or the car, a truck or anywhere else) as long as he can be near me.

My Bassett Hound has a huge advantage in the canoe. He HATES the water. He will walk around puddles on land and will do anything NOT to jump in the water.

This is a big advantage. No dog jumping out of the boat and shaking off when he gets back in.

He is a very calm, but also very active dog, especially for a middle age Bassett Hound.

He loves tripping too.

I think I know of a
Portuguese Water Dog that may need a rescue soon…

jim

Greyhound?
Terrible canoe dog, but awesomely perfect for the right owner. Hank (my grey) loves to go to the pet resort when me and the wife go paddling. Win-Win situation. Now you know how I picked my screen name… or was it because of my hair color???

Hank was recently diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in his shoulder. This is one of the very few health problems that greyhounds are susceptible to. Sucks for us, but he’s doing o.k. for now, just a limp to him…

Here he is in all his post-racing retirement glory:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/PortiaHank/IMGP4833.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, but he’s been on my mind and in my heart of late…

Mike

… will do Jim
Hopefully how hear back soon

Tell ya what!
I’ll pay postage & handling, I’ll throw in about 500 large rawhide chews to hopefully spare the packagin’ whilst occupyin’ his attention on the journey northward, along with an 8" X 10" glossy of the General Sherman Redwood (Hey! A dog’s gotta dream, too!), and I’ll send ya an honest-ta-God Stab-da-Door Deceiver/I’m Askin’ Pal-Be-Mute hybrid.

Shoot, he’ll at least amuse the kids, and by your third or fourth double-bourbon you won’t be noticin’ as much his penchant for portrayin’ an angry beaver possessed by James Brown’s ghost lecturin’ a hickory stump.

Shucks! I’ll send ya 50 bucks and a bottle of Blanton’s just ta seal the deal! Whaddayasay, whaddayasay?

Include your trip conditions
Since you say camping, I’m assuming fairly long trips in a variety of water including bigger lakes and rivers. And you said chilly wet weather.

I think from a safety standpoint I would want a dog that could handle a possible short term mishap. I would not want to be too fearful for the dog all the time. I.e. my sister had a dauchshund that basically sank in the water. He just didn’t have any buoyancy (and he was always freezing)

Of course you’ll have a PFD on your dog but still…

I think I would take some of the other suggestions here and add in consider a dog that has some propensity for water because your not lilly dipping with the dog, your tripping.

So trainable (extra nice when camping if you have a fairly obedient dog),

not too barky (so doesn’t bother others),

good in water.

You can get books from the library on breeds and read up. Then at the shelter look for combo’s of breeds that fit the bill. There will be a lot of lab combo’s that should work as long as not too hyper.

Its a hard sell but I love older dogs. People put up with hyper pups in an adults body till they throw up their hands at the 2 year mark. They can still be very hyper at 2 but are just starting to get better. 3 or 4 is good.

If your Shelter has a foster program that’s even more ideal. Sometimes the foster home will have an idea of whether the dog would or wouldn’t be a good candidate since they’ve lived with the dog. Pure breed rescue groups also have dogs in foster (and some have some mixes too) and may have good candidates. I love the idea of shelter dog but when you have specific needs a foster history can help.

Like this one??
http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/dog-on-coot2.jpg

It followed me home on a trip.

That dog can not be allowed to reproduce

– Last Updated: Apr-21-09 9:15 AM EST –

If Moby isn't already neutered, I'm sure we can pass the hat at Raystown and come up with enough money to pay for the operation.

But in the meantime .... yea, I'll continue to consider your kind offer Tom ... and uh, ... I'll let you know ... :)