water bottles

Lately in the news there’s been a lot of talk about the possible dangers of drinking from plastic bottles. I’ve been useing nalgenes for years when canoeing and hikeing.Any thoughts or suggestions as what else to use?

Using SIGG
I’ve replaced my tired Nalgene with a couple of SIGG aluminum liter bottles. I chose them because the lid has a hole to lash on to and they’re actually lighter (not that that really matters much to me). I haven’t tasted any metallic taste. The Nalgene sometimes had a bit of a plasticy taste. Also the SIGG bottles are not thermos so they won’t keep thing hot or cold. As far as problems with plastic reported in the news… like everything else, give it some time and some new authority will likely say it has health benefits.

Using a ‘Klean Kanteen’ bottle
formed of high quality s/s, with a screw-in cap, which is also s/s where the cap screws in and makes contact with your H2o. Check out the discussion forum, “Any body see this? Whats your opinion?”, post about the same subject.

Some Plastics are OK
You need to check the recycle code on the plastic container (the number in the triangle). If it is a 1,3,6 or 7, don’t use it. If it is a 2,4,5 it is most likely OK. Here’s a link to an article. There are loads more if you search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A#Identification_in_Plastics

Oh GREAT!
I drink tons of bottled water with a “1” on the bottom. Now I’m gonna’ die, or be mutated!!!

From a Camelback newsletter on BPA

– Last Updated: Apr-13-08 12:14 PM EST –

I can email you a copy of the complete letter if you get to me (can't figure how to copy it to here!), but it clearly states "despite a great deal of misinformation in the media and public perception there is NO correlation to the #7 resin code and BPA". I believe the new BPA-free bottles are indeed stamped #7 also, but I'll check today at work. In fact, Camelback implies the switch to BPA-free bottles came from consumer demand/worry, and that comperhensive reviews of polycarbonate and BPA by the FDA, CDC, Harvard Center for Risk Analysis, American Council on Science & Safety, European Commission Scientific Commitee on Food, United Kingdom Food Standards Agency, and the Japan Ministry of Health, Labor & Welfare, to name a few, have concluded that "estimated daily exposure to BPA has no known safety risk". I'm no scientist, I'm just posting comments from an industry leader in H2o containers, and would be glad to forward the info to anyone who would like to see it. It may be avaiable from Camelbacks site, but I haven't checked.

I have the Kleen Kanteen, cant be beat

Is this "health threat"
more dangerous than the “cell phone threat”?

I’m getting tired of being “threatened” :smiley:

SIGG and other Al bottles
Hasn’t there been shown a link between aluminum and the onset of Alzheimer’s disease?

It makes me wonder if replacing my Nalgene with SIGG is any better for me.

Matt

How come I have lived to this ripe old
age ???

cheers,

JackL

what could be bad about
holding a radio transmitter up to your head? What could be unhealthy about drinking out of altered petroleum by-products?

water bottles
I ditched all my Nalgene bottles, I started using Gatorade bottles. Its the ultra light container that cost a $1.50, that I can recycle after a few uses. I also use 2 liter bottles for larger water capacity needs.

Sigg
Don’t worry about aluminum, I think the Sigg bottles are plastic lined. Oops, back to plastic.

On that note…
news from the past week

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080411/ts_afp/euhealthchildrenfoodadditiveshyperactivity_080411021023

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/apr/12/health.medicalresearch?gusrc=rss&feed=uknews

Better toss more than your Nalgene
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found bisphenol A in the urine of over 95% of people they tested.

Do you think that 95% of the population drinks from Nalgene?

That’s a real pisser. nm

I have see…
…undeniable proof that a lifetime of life has been shown to be 100% fatal regardless of the material of the drinking vessel.

Think it’s enameled

That right up there with…
Teflon in high 90 % of Americans

Politicians
are 90% teflon.