water depth for canoes

Does anyone know what the minimum water depth for a canoe is? I imagine it depends on the actual canoe, but what is a conservative average?? Thanks in advance!

min depth

– Last Updated: Nov-02-05 10:06 AM EST –

... for the canoe can be three inches or less (unloaded). But, minimum depth for the paddle is a different story.

consider hull shape
You’ll also need to factor in hull shape – round hulls and v-hulls tend to settle down into the water, while flat-bottomed hulls tend to float on top.

Tolerance
the owners tolerance for scratches that is.

I’ve run my Explorer through less than an inch of water in places and the boat has the scars to show for it.

I think a 4" waterline is comonly used for design purposes.

Tommy

once you get
under a foot you are poling, not really paddling. The suckwater effect makes it painfull to try to go at any speed. I did the last 10 miles of the Clinton mostly in water under a foot. Since we were a heavy wight team when we hit water under 5 inches we stopped… I guess I am trying to say that the depth of the water is also a factor of how fast and how far. Thirty or forty feet of 4-5 inch water is not a problem if you are lilydipping. If you are trying to go fast it gets painfull realfast. If you are trying to go far it gets old realfast.

Just my opinion…

I have gone
to -3 feet. Moss covered rocks and a strong current, we get airborne. Seriously though I’d guess my sons and my combined 350 pounds in a 15’ dagger is probably about 5" draft.Amazing looking at the bottom and not scraping when I am more used to the 5.5 foot draft in my sailboat.

I have boats…

– Last Updated: Nov-04-05 11:11 AM EST –

I have boats that will most definitely glide through 6 inches of water without making contact with the river bottom if the bottom is level.
The problem for me is not whether or not there is enough water to keep from dragging bottom. I'm more concerned about how much trouble it is to keep paddling, and have the abiltiy to steer.
It seems pointless to me to tear up the bottom of a good boat & paddle blade attempting to paddle in water that is too shallow. When the river is under a foot deep; I typically get out & line the boat through. Saves the boat, saves the paddle, less hassle, and I get a leg stretch which I usually need.

A lot depends on the weight of the paddler, the weight of his gear, the speed of the current, the boat's weight & design.

BOB

Paddle Depth
In my humble opinion I’d put that depth at the shallowest you can actually use your paddle without trashing it. You can float a boat in places you can’t get full use out of your paddle without chipping it or hitting bottom every stroke.

Paddle Depth
In my humble opinion I’d put that depth at the shallowest you can actually use your paddle without trashing it. You can float a boat in places you can’t get full use out of your paddle without chipping it or hitting bottom every stroke.

congratulations
I did that race in 04 with lots of water and am glad could not do it this year. Did you consider walking or running the boat thru the wet gravel bed?

"Why is that?"
When I am training with you, you always want to make me suffer and go through “suck water” ?

cheers,

JackL

Stop studdering Stickman
Sorry, I couldn’t help it!

Cheers,

JackL

Stop studdering Stickman
Stop studdering Stickman

Posted by: JackL on Nov-09-05 1:19 PM (EST)

Sorry, I couldn’t help it!

Cheers,

Matt (heehee)

Because
it is good for the team…