water in my paddle blues

i have water in my 2 peice sea kayak paddle. drives me nuts. it gets in both halves and i don’t know how. obviously it gets in either at the blade/shaft joint, or somehow past the plugs, but i can’t see how it happens either way. and it takes a long time to dry out, weeks. anyone have any idea how to get the water out quicker? i guess i will have to reseal the joint, and put in double plugs. i really like this paddle and don’t want to part with it.

what
kind of paddle do have?

If it really bothers you, try inserting the paddle shafts together and pump the two in and out. I have a Werner and it does the same thing.

When I insert the shafts back and forth, the pressure pushes the residual water out.

try canoeing instead
the paddles don’t leak .

if it was a lightning paddle
it would be the first and lightning would repair it for free.

Lightning – what?
Do you mean it wouldN’T be the first? I’m on my third Lightning – the first two retained water and the retailer swapped them. They guy who sold it was, of course, shccked… shocked!

BTW, I don’t even use it much any more – the wide blade is too hard on my bum shoulder. But it does stay dry inside when I do, or as a spare.

–David.

So how’s that Kalliste working out?
Have you broken that thing into several pieces yet? I hear that they are very fragile paddles. Sure glad that the four I’ve owned are not the special super fragile ones that some people are so concerned about.

:wink:

growing to love that new 210 more and more each day.

Cheers

Jed

I have some water
in an old Werner Mid-Tour. It appears to gain entrance where the blade joins the shaft. If I get around to using it for some reason, I’ll seal the joint with epoxy or chewing gum or something.

can’t figure out how it’s getting in
that joint, but i’m going to do the same this weekend and see if that helps. i really like this paddle. it’s not my number one (an Epic) but it is my hard use paddle and it’s got great purchase and a thick, indexed shaft so i want to salvage it.

The shaft halves should be plugged
The joint will leak, so both paddle halves should have foam plugs in them to prevent water intrusion. If your paddle doesn’t have them, contact the manufacturer, as they may have been accidently ommitted during manufacture. If they don’t plug their shafts, it’s a simple matter to fabricate tight fitting plugs from scraps of Minicel foam, then seal them with a bit of GOOP. This is also one of the few kayaking applications where silicone sealer is appropriate.